Author Topic: HEADLINER: Control public opinion, start a Riot  (Read 12433 times)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
HEADLINER: Control public opinion, start a Riot
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »

HEADLINER
Control public opinion. Start a riot.

Genetic engineering and civil unrest loom over Galixia
The State maintains peace via strict media control
You are the Chief Curator of a leading Newscast Channel
You are the HEADLINER

Your influence will change the streets of the city and your own family.

{Website}

[almost-alpha]

Figured I'd open the door to Exilians who are interested! I trust you guys :)  There's a short survey at the end I'd appreciate if you filled out too.

THANKS!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:19:31 AM by Koobazaur »
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HEADLINER: Control public opinion, start a Riot
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:55:28 PM »
Had a playthrough and gave feedback :)

I predictably went for the "calm everyone down" options, making me a terrible tabloid editor but generally the city and my family seemed to do fine out of it so I'm happy!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 03:50:53 AM »
Nice, glad you enjoyed it :D
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
I think the only thing that frustrates me with story-games like this is that I always want some way to avoid the implicit trade-offs; in real life I'm the sort of stubborn idiot who refuses to accept, eg, that there's a trade-off between doing a job well and doing it morally, and just assume that I need to work out a better strategy if I can't make win-win situations happen. So in games where the trade-off is baked in, I usually go for quite a predictable strategy but it'll frustrate me a bit.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:20:03 AM »
Yea I like to embrace the Walkin Dead developers mentality: "no good deed goes unpunished" ;p Witcher 3 was also good about having no good or bad choices, as everything is a shade of gray and you can never please everyone. Feels more realistic. And that's how life is - one of the points I was making in Headliner.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:59:21 PM »
I'm just a stubborn idealist, if life doesn't work right my instinct is to try my damnedest to change the rules :P But yes, it works well for this sort of story-game.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:32:47 AM »
Well, you can always ask for a refund ;D

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:16:45 AM »

If anyone is curious abut the dev process, here's a useful tip I learned on this project :)

Rapid Prototyping Tip: Defining data as code files

When you’re trying to churn out a game fast, it might make more sense to define your items, texts or conversation in code files. Here’s how to do it, an example from my current project.

Continue reading →

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:29:06 PM »
Trailer coming soon :D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 11:08:20 PM »
Ah nice :) And yes, I shall no doubt demand a 100% refund. Or even 200% or 5000% if I feel like it. ;)

Is the TV thing going to appear in future versions or is that just for the trailer?

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »
Just the trailer.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:40:58 PM »
Looking good, anyhow :)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:34 AM »

I revamped the player creation screen to fit with the game world better wooo:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 11:16:12 AM »
Good, yes, that's a neat idea! :)

I disapprove of the lack of a nb option, but then again my impression is that Galixia isn't great on equalities legislation generally so that probably works with the theme :P

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 03:28:11 AM »
Gender just wasn't a theme for this project, so I didn't want to delve into it. I used the "traditional family model" to try to create a stronger bond between you and your family, since it's a pretty time-tested model and I didn't wanna mess it up.

Now interactive Credits  :D