Author Topic: My recent experience with this mod! include bug report  (Read 3434 times)

misto

• View Profile
    • Awards
My recent experience with this mod! include bug report
« on: March 12, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
Well, semi-recent, its been a few months.

I was using steam version, for informative purposes.

Good mod, had a great time, the map of the fantasy world is well realized and the factions have lots of their unique units.

however, 2 strange problems emerged.

1. i could not figure out how to recruit regular stormvermin. whenever i tried, they always popped out with a new general who seemed unrelated to my family line. is this intended? i would have preferred regular ranks of stormvermin who i could put in harms way without worrying that the new general may get killed and hurt the armys morale. without the ability to recruit stormvermin without the worry of dead generals, i had to rely on mere clanrats, and it was tough going, althought the jezzails helped immensely. speaking of the jezzails, they just might be a little bit too good...

2. i took the kislev area and stationed a defensive skaven army in a fort near the chaos border, because i expected them to start trouble. sure enough, they eventually made their move, but their attack crashed the game. i tried reloading the save and re-engaging this several times. i even tried intercepting the enemy with other patrols in the area, no go. i can only guess that some property of that chaos army was bugged. a bugged general, a corrupted model? i dont know

oh, and i did experiment with trying some custom battles against and with chaos units in custom battle to try to pin down if some specific unit was causing it, but i couldnt figure it out. most of the custom battles with chaos units worked out fine. sometimes it did still crash, but that seemed to be a minor risk with starting up any custom battle. im confident that it wasnt the "chaos marauder horseman" bug written about on the moddb page, because i remember fighting lots of marauder horsemen! especially rebel marauder horsemen

finally, a bit of feedback: fear causing units are astoundingly strong! i do not know if this is a problem inherent in the base game, because most of the units there are normal men with weapons and armor and do not seem to have special fear powers. but in a fantasy world, fear powers are more common, so it is a bigger issue. but it might be good to try to scale it back a little if you can. try running an army of tzeentch screamers or similar fear causing cavalry against most other armies of balanced composition and youll see their amazing effects
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:42:16 PM by misto »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My recent experience with this mod! include bug report
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »
Hi, welcome to Exilian :)

1. That isn't intentional with the stormvermin... one would need to make a duplicate of the stormvermin unit and then remove the generals_unit flag to fix that. The jezzails are hellishly good, but they do struggle if the enemy has fast enough heavy hitters even so.

2. That's probably the reported problem with the chaos greater general model, see this post for a fix.

And yes, the power of things like fear is quite significant, but there are some armies that are essentially immune to it like undead who have absurdly high morale values, so many of these powers are quite specific as to who they work against. I accept it's unbalanced, but I sort of like the ridiculous power of some of the "evil" fear causing units, for me it gives a better feel of being up against dark and mysterious powers. You'll find that most armies can, with the right combinations of units, counter most things, but in late campaign especially it's more about working out the units and mercs combination you need for a certain enemy or task and you have less grinding of numbers than in regular Rome: Total War.

I'm glad you enjoyed the mod! If you want to make any particular tweaks like to fix stormvermin, I'm happy to provide any advice that I can, though I'm no longer actively supporting or updating this mod (I needed to move on and do other things at some point!) :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

misto

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:28:57 AM »
thank you for these fix advices. i will try to implement them and report back

i notice that there are 2 stormvermins selectable in custom battle, maybe one of them is meant to be the generals bodyguard and the other the regular unit? i hope that removing the generals_unit bit wont cause descendants to be bugged or without bodyguards once they come of age

and yes, if you have any specific instructions regarding how to tweak these stormvermin, please provide

and as for fear units, at least the ai armies arent smart enough to spam them, ha ha

edit: hmmm i think im closing in on whats going on

type             GEN_skavenguards
dictionary       strats
category         infantry
class            light
voice_type       Light_1
soldier          stormvermin, 30, 0, 1
attributes       sea_faring,hide_forest,hide_improved_forest,general_unit,can_sap
formation        1.4, 1.4, 2.5, 2.5, 5,square
stat_health      1, 0
stat_pri         10,5, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25, 0.5
stat_pri_attr    spear,spear_bonus_8
stat_sec         10,5, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, mace, 25, 0.5
stat_sec_attr    no
stat_pri_armour  9, 3, 2, flesh
stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
stat_heat        0
stat_ground      0, 0, 0, 0
stat_mental      15,disciplined,highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 40
stat_fire_delay  0
stat_food        60, 300
stat_cost        1, 50, 160, 500, 500, 250
ownership        britons

that one up there is obviously meant to be the generals unit, as evidence by GEN, and here is a second entry for a similar unit

type             skavenguards
dictionary       strats
category         infantry
class            light
voice_type       Light_1
soldier          stormvermin, 30, 0, 1
attributes       sea_faring,hide_forest,hide_improved_forest,general_unit,can_sap
formation        1.4, 1.4, 2.5, 2.5, 5,square
stat_health      1, 0
stat_pri         10,5, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25, 0.5
stat_pri_attr    spear,spear_bonus_8
stat_sec         10,5, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, mace, 25, 0.5
stat_sec_attr    no
stat_pri_armour  9, 3, 2, flesh
stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
stat_heat        0
stat_ground      0, 0, 0, 0
stat_mental      15,disciplined,highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 40
stat_fire_delay  0
stat_food        60, 300
stat_cost        1, 50, 160, 500, 500, 250
ownership        britons

nearly identical! so, if i remove the general_unit text bit from the second one, that should do the job?

edit2: ah. i made the change and its working great. thank you
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:35:54 AM by misto »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:03:03 AM »
Fantastic! :) And yes - if you want to check what it is that you're making from a building, check the entries in export_descr_buildings.txt which link directly to export_descr_unit and are (at least for recruitment) fairly self explanatory.

Do let me know if I can advise on anything else/if there are any other tweaks you'd like to make. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...