Author Topic: Regal-class Skyship  (Read 1735 times)

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
Regal-class Skyship
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »
Talked a fair bit about Skyships, but haven't really said much beyond how they work. Thus far I've posted about the Bayleaf freighter and the B-class frigate, this week I'll be posting another Skyship in the form of the Regal-class light cruiser (which has been mentioned previously).

http://www.utherwaldpress.com/2017/03/regal-class-skyship.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:03:51 PM by Jubal »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Regal-class Skyship
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
Looks good! One thought - comparing the Regal class to the B-Class, it strikes me that the crew numbers seem to indicate a far bigger increase in scale than the number of guns: I'd expect a ship of 570 crew to have more than 8 cannon on board, given the cannon probably only account for say 30-40 crew between them (3 per gun plus a team of runners)...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
Looks good! One thought - comparing the Regal class to the B-Class, it strikes me that the crew numbers seem to indicate a far bigger increase in scale than the number of guns: I'd expect a ship of 570 crew to have more than 8 cannon on board, given the cannon probably only account for say 30-40 crew between them (3 per gun plus a team of runners)...

Based off the Leander-class light cruisers (HMS Ajax from the Battle of the River Plate), had 580 peacetime crew that went over 600 odd during wartime. Some of the crew are aero-marines who typically man the 50-cal machine guns, otherwise their own rifles fired from the deck.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
Ah, fair enough; I guess I'd forgotten that most of your ships are in the "naval ship with side-balloon" format and so have quite a lot of deck space for light weapons. Presumably one could fit things like mortars on the deck too if needs be...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...