Author Topic: Jubal's 12th Doctor Skinpack  (Read 5093 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Jubal's 12th Doctor Skinpack
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
MMiaW - 12th Doctor Skinpack

I finally made another skinpack! This is another one-file pack in honour of the start of Peter Capaldi's last season in Doctor Who. The pack transforms one of your playable wizard characters to have the distinctive jacket, three piece suit, haircut and wrinkles of the twelfth doctor. :)

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:50:41 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: Jubal's Doctor Who Skinpack
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »
This looks really cool! And I love Doctor Who. We should give him the Teleport Staff as the starting weapon. Unfortunately, I wanted the game to have compile-time checks so everything is hardcoded into the sources and it isn't really mod-able.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »
I know, one of the first things I do when I get a new game is investigate the files to see what I can mod :P I'm happy making skinpacks (and I've got some more planned), which at least do work - I've done a couple of runs with the Doctor to see if I could get him a teleport staff, but no luck. I'll get there eventually!

This actually gives me an extra weapon idea, a small staff (could be called something like "sonic wand" or "magical screwdriver" for the joke/reference, but I think it could be good to have even without that). Ability 2 (or maybe 3) mana, opens a door or shuts off a shooting trap (assuming you're standing next to one or the other). And perhaps a starting orb hit of 7?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
I know, one of the first things I do when I get a new game is investigate the files to see what I can mod :P I'm happy making skinpacks (and I've got some more planned), which at least do work - I've done a couple of runs with the Doctor to see if I could get him a teleport staff, but no luck. I'll get there eventually!

The game has a built-in control console. Press T to open the chat prompt and type this:

/dm1

That activates the "dungeon master" mode. Then press T and type:

/weapons

To get all the weapons.

At that point you can also move all the objects around with a mouse, use a mouse wheel to create or change objects and even create new levels. You can get a full list of commands if you type /help (just make sure you activate /dm1 first). If you're interested more about this, I can write a detailed explanation how it works.

This actually gives me an extra weapon idea, a small staff (could be called something like "sonic wand" or "magical screwdriver" for the joke/reference, but I think it could be good to have even without that). Ability 2 (or maybe 3) mana, opens a door or shuts off a shooting trap (assuming you're standing next to one or the other). And perhaps a starting orb hit of 7?

That's a really cool idea. I'm adding it to my "weapons to add" list.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »

The game has a built-in control console. Press T to open the chat prompt and type this:

/dm1

That activates the "dungeon master" mode. Then press T and type:

/weapons

To get all the weapons.

At that point you can also move all the objects around with a mouse, use a mouse wheel to create or change objects and even create new levels. You can get a full list of commands if you type /help (just make sure you activate /dm1 first). If you're interested more about this, I can write a detailed explanation how it works.

That's a really cool idea. I'm adding it to my "weapons to add" list.

Edit:

Perhaps it would have a special type of orbs that stop the traps, and the mana ability would be used to open the doors? In that case, 2 mana would be too low. Imagine if you had a Lizard pet, you could simply just walk through all the rooms without fighting. Even with 3, it would mean skipping 50% of the game and you could skip every boss fight... When I think about it, I'm not sure if having a refillable item that opens doors is a really good idea balance-wise. Currently you can skip the boss fight only with the Escape scroll, and those are rare. Maybe if the cost was very prohibitive, like 8 mana or something like that... but still.

Maybe a better effect would be unlocking chests and locked doors? In that case I would even go for 8 orb damage.

Or, another alternative, it could be a single-use item which you can use to open a single door or a chest. It wouldn't be used as a weapon at all.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:55:25 PM »
Ah, thankyou, I'll look into the console :)

I see your point on the door opening thing (though the lizard wouldn't let you run right through everything, it only triggers after you finish/win battles). You could stop it doing boss doors but that may be too complex. I think one that unlocked chests/key-lock doors (and which maybe had trap-disabling orbs) would still keep the spirit of the thing though. I feel like the idea of it as a wand is kind of nice rather than it being one use only - it's the "handy tool for all occasions" sort of feeling you get when carrying it around.

Also, I figured my tiny Capaldi should have some enemies, and I've been feeling ill and not getting work done, so I made some Sontarans...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »
I see your point on the door opening thing (though the lizard wouldn't let you run right through everything, it only triggers after you finish/win battles).

Oh, yes. I always forget that, sometimes even during playing and then my super cool plan fails because I don't have as much mana as I calculated I would.

Also, I figured my tiny Capaldi should have some enemies, and I've been feeling ill and not getting work done, so I made some Sontarans...

Awesome!  :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:38 PM »
Yeah, I occasionally do that though I've mostly got the hang of it now.

I'm hoping to get Sontaran equivalents of the axe-thrower, warrior, and shaman done as well, then I'll put up a zip with all the sontaran-goblins in :)