Game Design and Project Resources: The Workshops Quarter > Computer Game Development - The Indie Alley

[KICKSTARTER: 30% FUNDED!] Village Monsters - Kinda like Animal Crossing!

(1/16) > >>

WarpDogsVG:
Kickstarter

---> Help me build a village! Back Village Monsters on Kickstarter <---

Trailer

Quick Info
Release: October 2018 for PC / Mac / Linux
Genre: Life Sim
Alpha Demo: http://warpdogs.com/were-release/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/VillageMonsters
Good Vibes?: Yes
Monsters?: Absolutely

Summary
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the world of an abandoned video game? All those NPCs with their artificial lives...what do they do after the game is turned off for that final time?

Village Monsters is a relaxing life sim game set in one such world.

You play as someone booting up the game for the first time in decades only to discover that it is nothing like you remember.

The monsters that were once enemies have thrown away their weapons and have settled down in a peaceful village that they created.
Stranger still, they're inviting you to come join them.

[*]Personalize your very own home with furniture, decorations, and upgrades. Plant a garden! Install a secret room! Sit on a golden throne you found in the woods!
[*]Get to know dozens of whimsical monster neighbors, each with their own personalities, activities, and problems to solve.
[*]Pick up a new hobby, like fishing, botany, critter collecting, archaeology, or cooking, then donate your findings and creations to the Historical Society of Monsters.
[*]Leave your mark on the village by unlocking new buildings and influencing its development over time.
[*]Fill out your daily routine with activities like shopping, talking with villagers, watching TV, hunting for mushrooms, and so much more.
[/list]

[*]An immersive day / night cycle where everything has a schedule to keep - the villagers, the birds, and even the flowers.
[*]Dynamic weather changes including dozens of distinct weather types ranging from clear skies to thundersnow.
[*]The world changes with the seasons, and you can expect activities, items, creatures, and even music unique to each season.
[*]A packed calendar full of holidays ensures that every week brings something new. Enjoy events like the monthly Critter Safari, the springtime Good Egg Day Feast, and the Pumpkin Patch Bash.
[/list]

[*]Explore a digital land that’s been transformed by its abandonment.
[*]Experience a unique story told through unusual methods such as via item descriptions, overheard conversations, and anomoly research.
[*]Help unravel the unknown by investigating and solving Mysteries, a unique type of quest system.
[*]Complete a massive compendium that logs your journey through the game. Use it to track Mysteries, collectibles, secrets, and triumphs.
[/list]

Jubal:
Welcome to Exilian, great to meet you :)

I'll have a go at the prototype soon and let you know what I think - looks very interesting. And also how I play games *anyway* - I'm the sort of person who will be playing full-on mass killing strategy games and then go off and try and spend the time sheep farming instead because it's more fun, so this very much appeals to me :P

Jubal:
Right, had an initial wander round and met some characters, all very good fun and it had a nice look & feel to it: good job :)

Notes

* Keyboard controls were confusing, and even for a pre-alpha a brief explanation would be good. The A and S keys appeared to do some things with the handheld+ items, but also be movement keys? I also seem to be able to scroll left through my inventory slots with the left arrow but not back right again. I know it's more designed for a gamepad, but I think you will need to have a full keyboard control set as well: I don't own a gamepad and I suspect a lot of other potential target audience won't either.
* Really like the range of characters, and the style/theming is definitely fun.
* Does the completable compendium mentioned in your notes exist yet/if so how is it accessed?
* It felt odd that I could walk through some things that I expected to be solid (barrels most notably).
Bug reports

* I got the following error message & crash after talking to the blob chef once, then trying talking to it again.Spoiler (click to show/hide)___________________________________________
############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event0
for object obj_Revenant:

DoAdd :: Execution Error
at gml_Script_src_AddNewSentence
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_src_AddNewSentence (line 0)
gml_Script_src_DialogTalk
gml_Script_src_Talk
gml_Script_src_Inspect
gml_Script_src_RevState_Move
gml_Object_obj_Revenant_Step_0

* Postbox text should start "if you had some mail"
* Got stuck on the island with the chests - my raft ended up glitching onto land somehow so I couldn't get away again.

WarpDogsVG:

--- Quote from: Jubal on May 25, 2017, 01:23:18 PM ---Right, had an initial wander round and met some characters, all very good fun and it had a nice look & feel to it: good job :)

Notes

* Keyboard controls were confusing, and even for a pre-alpha a brief explanation would be good. The A and S keys appeared to do some things with the handheld+ items, but also be movement keys? I also seem to be able to scroll left through my inventory slots with the left arrow but not back right again. I know it's more designed for a gamepad, but I think you will need to have a full keyboard control set as well: I don't own a gamepad and I suspect a lot of other potential target audience won't either.
* Really like the range of characters, and the style/theming is definitely fun.
* Does the completable compendium mentioned in your notes exist yet/if so how is it accessed?
* It felt odd that I could walk through some things that I expected to be solid (barrels most notably).
Bug reports

* I got the following error message & crash after talking to the blob chef once, then trying talking to it again.Spoiler (click to show/hide)___________________________________________
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event0
for object obj_Revenant:

DoAdd :: Execution Error
at gml_Script_src_AddNewSentence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_src_AddNewSentence (line 0)
gml_Script_src_DialogTalk
gml_Script_src_Talk
gml_Script_src_Inspect
gml_Script_src_RevState_Move
gml_Object_obj_Revenant_Step_0

* Postbox text should start "if you had some mail"
* Got stuck on the island with the chests - my raft ended up glitching onto land somehow so I couldn't get away again.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for playing and providing such good feedback! I checked my logs and I'm pretty sure all the bugs you saw are fixed in the new release (which'll drop sometime in July). In fact, July's release is shaping up to be a proper 'alpha' in the sense that it'll be much more stable and contain more finished versions of every system and feature.

Tomorrow I hope to share a dev diary for one of the many hobbies you can partake in - critter catching!

Jubal:
Cool, look forward to seeing more :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version