Author Topic: We're going to UK Games Expo - what should I take?  (Read 4680 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
We're going to UK Games Expo - what should I take?
« on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
Right, so Exilian is co-holding a stall with Utherwald Press for the Friday and Sunday (and technically the Saturday but I won't actually be there then) of UK Games Expo (which is a tabletop games event) this year.

Beyond flyers for the site (I've ordered a thousand), what should I bring along to show to people? We obviously don't have much of our "own" stuff as we're a facilitating website not a game publisher etc in our own right. On the other hand I need some conversation pieces/not to have a completely bare stand.

Possibilities:
  • I'd really like to get some stuff on all the tabletop projects we have - Utherwald will be there, I can do stuff for my own projects, if we can get Norbayne and maybe Fox Box stuff that would be super good too.
  • I can actually set out some of my own games, especially smaller ones, the stuff for Botolph Lane or Empedocles' Stones is easy to cart around.
  • There's also the historical boardgames option, which I feel is good for us because it bridges this into eg history sections, though I don't know if that would be boring or if people would know Senet/Royal Game of Ur/Zatrikion etc already at a big boardgame convention like that?
  • I really don't know what other options I have but all thoughts welcome
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: We're going to UK Games Expo - what should I take?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
1. Table covering! Srsly. A nice tablecloth goes a long way. Same goes for putting things on available walls.
2. Signs should be laminated, at least. You can put them in frames as a cheap option (ask charity shops if they have any hanging around, no pun intended)
3. Basic stuff out the way, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CARDS. If you're promoting Exilian, you need Exilian cards. To remind people who you are after the event.
4. BOWL OF SWEETS. People will actually come over for the sweets alone, then feel bad and speak to you. I've met some GREAT people this way.
5. Show people who we are! Maybe make some portfolios of Exilians who would be happy to be involved, and are successful on the platform?
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Thankyous!

• Table covering, I'll have a think, might be able to borrow something. I've got annoyingly little stuff around the place in Birmingham, so it may be a stretch as to what I can find...
  • Lamination isn't happening at this stage unfortunately, this has all happened way too last minute - I'll see what I've got regarding mounting them somehow as an alternative.
  • We don't have cards but we will have little generic flyers for the forum. It was an either/or between flyers and cards given our nonexistent budget so I went for flyers.
  • Sweets I'll have to check the rules, but if we're allowed that's a good call.
  • Yes, that's a good call, I'll have a think on that :)

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:25:13 PM »
Flyers are as good as cards :) so long as people don't go home and can't remember who you were!

Also consider putting together a 'convention kit'... sticky tape, blu-tack, pair of scissors, paper + pens, instant coffee sachets ;)
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »
Wait the one in Bham? Some of my dudes are going there on sat! Is there anyone there sat or you just have the space for that day but aren't there? I'll ask them to go over, say hi :D

Unfortunately I can't go with them, in Sweden from 30th until 5th I think.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
@Liz - Again, good calls. Fortunately it turns out I have my nice shiny cloak with me which should do for a tablecloth :)

@CW - Yes, that very one :) We might have some non-Exilian people sitting on the stand for us on Saturday, and we're co-exhibiting with stormwell so there'll be an Exilian member there at least.

And ah, pity - enjoy Sweden though!

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
I'm happy to send a heap of Norbayne materials. No idea what you'd do with them though... :)
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
I'm happy to send a heap of Norbayne materials. No idea what you'd do with them though... :)
Anything graphical is best because I can actually display that. If we can compile a sort of one-page A4 run-down of Norbayne with web links etc I could print a few of those to hand out to people, too. :)