Author Topic: Historical accuracy in popular media  (Read 6207 times)

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Historical accuracy in popular media
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »
I have said it before, but I would like to see more stories where the male and female characters basically live in different worlds and do different things, but where the careful reader notices that the outcome of the male plotline is shaped by gossip networks and good textiles and badly stored wine and some of the female characters get exactly what they want while the male half of the cast is totally oblivious.  Or the same but for the noble characters and the commoners.  I would like to finish Nicola Griffith's Hild.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Historical accuracy in popular media
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
I agree re TV episodes, but I think in games the problem is not space, it's point of view. You can't ask a player to actually inhabit a character who's expected to have really fundamentally different sympathies from themselves. You can, if you're a good game writer, develop NPCs who effectively and empathetically portray radically different viewpoints though, I think games are a potentially good medium for that if you can get over or circumvent the issues with the player character and their moral code.

For an example of the above see Caesar of Caesar's Legion in Fallout: New Vegas. The dude is an absolute monster but his rationale is very logical and whatever. You still go away from meeting him thinking 'Wow, he's a psychopath' but also there's the understanding of where that kind of cruelty and drive for obedience comes from.

Further reading: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Caesar
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.