Author Topic: The Knight in Panther Skin(pack)  (Read 3835 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Knight in Panther Skin(pack)
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
So as some of you may know, outside Exilian I'm an academic and I study medieval Georgia. During the time period I study, there was a great epic poem written called "The Knight in Panther Skin" As such, here's me combining that with my love of Son of a Witch to make a Georgian mythology themed skinpack!

Skin 1: Avtandil
Attached to this post is my first such skin, which is a vague idea of a medieval Georgian knight, wearing a lamellar-style breastplate and with a closer fitted, pointed helm rather than the huge great-helm worn by the original Son of a Witch knight character :) My idea is that this is Avtandil, the story's protagonist (though I may make a fancier Avtandil skin sometime later potentially and "demote" this one to being one of the supporting characters!).

Preview image:

Download link in attachment.

Install instructions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: The Knight in Panther Skin(pack)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
Looks pretty cool. Medieval :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
Thanks :) Yeah, the original story was written in the 1190s probably, so it's slightly earlier in medieval style, and being in the Caucasus it was scale more than plate mail that tended to be used. I'm basing the characters on a mix of Caucasus styles and those from further south - the story is actually mostly set in Arabia/India/Persia, but those countries are supposed to be an analogy for things happening in Georgia, so I'm mixing the styles up rather!

Skin 2: Tinatin

Tinatin is Avtandil's love interest in the poem, and the daughter of the King of Arabia, Rostevan. She's often seen as an analogy for Queen Tamar of Georgia, so my skin for Tinatin is loosely based on pictures of Tamar. In the story (as with Tamar in real life) Tinatin is named the heir to the throne after her father is childless. The Knight in Panther Skin includes some sections defending the idea that women are suitable to rule a country, probably as a riposte to traditionalists who opposed Tamar's rule on the grounds of her gender.

Reference images:

Install instructions:
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »

And now, meet Tariel, the eponymous Knight in Panther Skin :) He's the Prince of India, and I've designed him wearing the panther skin (visible on the helmet) over a suit of slightly more Indian-looking armour. He's a very passionate, reckless character and has massive mood swings throughout the story, though he's also the most skilled/senior of the three knights in the poem and becomes King of India at the end of the poem. The armour is probably a bit post-medieval in style in some ways, but it's so vague at cartoon scale that hopefully it doesn't matter too much.

More Images:

Install instructions: