Author Topic: RTR VII is the Best Mod for RTW  (Read 6677 times)

Marcus Licinius Crassus

• View Profile
    • Awards
RTR VII is the Best Mod for RTW
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
I feel compelled to make this post because I haven't seen much praise online for RTR VII. Other popular RTW mods get regular praise, RTR VII looks underappreciated. I dunno, maybe it was appreciated more around the time of its release, but at the same time it's only 5 years old.

Anyway, this is hands down the most unique and creative mod for the RTW grand campaign. Apart from having a more interesting map and new complex economic system, the mod features some very innovative solutions to old RTW issues. My jaw dropped when I first saw religion being used to simulate the transitional period after a settlement is conquered. It is so natural to use that function for something similiar to religion, i.e. culture, that whoever came up with that should get a gold star for lateral thinking. I'm surprised no other mods have since tried to build upon and perfect that idea (looking at you, RTR 8 and Fortuna Orbis  :P).

RTW has always had the problem of elite spamming - once barracks are upgraded to the max factions train an ahistorical proportion of elite units. What did the RTR VII come up to counter this? They increased recruitment times to an impractical 40 turns and had factions start off with 1 unit of their elites that they can keep retraining. Very elegant  8). Then there are the minor settlements. I wouldn't say they solve a specific issue but they are a very welcome addition that makes the campaign more interesting. Besides, it's unrealistic in vanilla and in other mods, when every settlement has the potential to grow into a huge city.

And on top of these things RTR VII has top class unit artwork. There were some serious improvements in this department since RTR 6. And with typical-of-RTR solid battle mechanics, this ensures that RTR VII isn't one of those mods that has a deeply immersive campaign but boring battles. Both sides of the game are strong.

I don't know if many of the dev team members will see this, but I want to thank you all for this work. I would try help promote it by starting a let's play channel or something (not that it would make a big difference) but I know I'm late to the scene and everyone is supposed to be playing RTR 8 now  :(.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RTR VII is the Best Mod for RTW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »
Whilst I wasn't on the RTR dev team, as a modder generally - thanks for writing this. It's always fantastic to actually have appreciation for modding work that gets done, and it makes things vastly more rewarding for modders generally.

Also, if you want to start a let's play channel or something for RTR 7, do post here and let us know, I'll happily help cross-promote the channel on Exilian's social media accounts and things :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

AmyClaraRose

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:15:24 AM »
thanks for the kind works rtr 7 (i wasnt on the rtr 7 team) is and always will be a great mod thats why as rtr 8 mod team are doing this keeping rtr alive and working by all means if you want to promte go ahead and we can help you if making a youtube series gets released im not as active as many as the other rtr 8 mod team members but we will keep an eye out and ill try spreading it around about what your doing if you do decide to do a lets play and we hope to see you around in the future for rtr 8

(im bad at making sentences and punctuation pls dont kill me)

Marcus Licinius Crassus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
Good to hear guys, I'll figure out the logistics and post here once I start the channel.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
@ACR: Don't worry, there are no grammar police here and you're perfectly intelligible - good to see you around!

@MLC: Awesome, look forward to hearing more :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the mod.  I don't know if it's the best, but at the time we went to great lengths to create something different, especially on the campaign map. (The campaign features were developed by Pat89 and myself, separately or together). Why did it not get more traction? I guess a lot of people just essentially liked the original format and were just looking for an improved and expanded version of it, and there were good mods about doing just that. I don't feel bad about it. VII is the mod I wanted to make and I'm quite happy with it, regardless of what others think :)