Author Topic: Ecosia - eco-friendly web searches  (Read 1551 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ecosia - eco-friendly web searches
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
https://www.ecosia.org/

Basically, ecosia is a search engine company who give 80% of their net income to tree planting schemes in the developing world; I'm trying out their chrome extension, it seems to basically work fine, look OK, and given the number of web searches I do is probably a fairly sensible way to slowly donate to charity (they estimate about 45 web searches per tree planted, which seems REALLY low to me though I guess maybe taking into account currency differentials it works?). Also ofc the more people that use it, probably the more efficient it gets in the long run as supply & demand will then push their ad revenues up :)

Anyone else tried this or things like it? I used to use tab for a cause which likewise funnelled ad revenue to charity from your "new tab" page, I might get that again though I seem to remember they ended up implementing some kind of registration system for that that didn't work well on my computer.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...