Author Topic: HEADLINER: What if YOU controlled the news?  (Read 5795 times)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
HEADLINER: What if YOU controlled the news?
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:54:53 AM »

What if YOU controlled the News?
Short media bias adventure game about controlling the news and it’s impact on your career, society, and

THE STEAM PAGE IS LIVE, ADD IT TO YOUR WISHLIST!

Genetic engineering and civil unrest loom over Galixia. You are the Chief Curator of a local News Channel. You are the HEADLINER
  • Multiple outcomes on different aspects of the story lead to unique endings you can share with the community
  • Average playthrough is around 45 mins with room for replay and experimentation
  • Curate articles and create your OWN unique bias!
  • Stroll down the streets and watch how society changes
  • Chat with your family about their struggles, love or hate
  • Colorblind-friendly design considerations

Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HEADLINER: What if YOU controlled the news?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
Nice, it'll be fun to see the finished thing :) Though I imagine I'm still going to try and be excessively scrupulous and then get annoyed when my paper does badly :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:17:12 AM »
Haha thanks! Last thing to add now is achievements, trying to think of some clever and fun ones :)
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:47:20 AM »

Made a female version of my logo because #feminism

and finished setting up the first batch of achievements :) Trying to think of some more fun ones to add...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »
Looks good! :) Is there an opposite to police state (anti-surveillance?)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 12:27:56 AM »
No but I probably should add it. Trying to think of some more "fun" ones, like banhammer you get if you ban all articles :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »
I feel like there should be a lazy worker type one, but I guess if the in-tray is always the same size and you always have to complete it then that might not work...

Are there any silly stories included? You could have a run of "also in the news" stories about people being chased by ducks and silly local stuff and have an achievement for putting the silly story in every day.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:56:46 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the in-tray and lazy worker sorry. Wording is a bit confusing or maybe im too tired haha

Yea I used to have a daily "funny article" but feedback wasn't that great, people found it too cringeworthy. Now I feel some days are already pretty cramped so I don't want to add more papers. Tho the last day does have a joke VR paper based on your outcome :p

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:17:18 PM »
I'm probably too tired to explain things right either, I keep sleeping badly lately!

And fair enough, I can see that might be the case :)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 11:30:59 PM »
Here's a write up & photos for the recent HEADLINER launch party and Seattle Indies Expo exhibit:

“Hey, sitting in the patio with a beer.”  The first text I got at 4:38pm as I approached the bar. Countless thoughts and worries evaporated from my mind as I realized it was beginning. The poster almost slipped from my hands. Time to put on the game face.

Continue reading -->

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
Oct 3rd added to my mental list of "times when I need to promote a game release in the next 2 months" :) Good marketing ideas, too, I'm always awful at getting people to come and talk to me at shows/expos.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 04:06:29 AM »

Little update, I got all the feedback from the Seattle Indies Expo in to the game :] Biggest tweak is that you now DRAG the articles around rather than clicking. I kept fighting the design since I wanted that "rewarding" feeling of clicking on an article to stamp it, but it just flew against people's instinct to drag things. Bummer, but sometimes you just gotta admit when you're wrong.

Here's a new little GIF:

Last but not least - anyone coming to Geek Girl Con? I'll be exhibiting there, so come by say hi :D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Is there any reason you couldn't add a button in an options menu somewhere so both methods are available? I guess that might be kinda complex...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »
I could but I think it's better to just have one UI method, one that feels natural. Plus I'd need dragging if I want to do a mobile version anyway, so might as well implement it now.

That and it'd mean coding/supporting two different UI methods and I'm too lazy :p

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
Yea, that's fair :)