Author Topic: Hyperloops now going at 220mph  (Read 1653 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hyperloops now going at 220mph
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if hyperloops ever become generally used; it does seem like the tech is developing pretty fast.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41107603

Does anyone know more about the tech side of this? I understand that they basically go super fast through a vacuum tunnel, but I'm not sure how the propulsion side really works in the whole thing.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hyperloops now going at 220mph
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »
As I understand it, the propulsion system is linear electric motors, with the pods gliding on air cushions; I have a feeling maglev has also been mentioned at some point. The tubes are low-pressure (100 mbar = 1/1000 atmospheric pressure), but not quite vacuum.

The Wikipedia article has more information, and there's also the SpaceX/Tesla design study which started the whole thing.

I'm definitely interested to see how the technology develops, particularly the less-obvious details like the structure and operation of stations and junctions.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hyperloops now going at 220mph
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:57:15 PM »
Yes, the Wiki article seems to suggest that the lack of easily placeable stations may be a problem.

Ooh, from the Wiki:
"The concept of transportation of passengers in pneumatic tubes is not new. The first patent to transport goods in tubes was taken out in 1799 by the British mechanical engineer and inventor George Medhurst. In 1812, Medhurst wrote a book detailing his idea of transporting passengers and goods through air-tight tubes using air propulsion."

Definitely a steampunk/hyperloop variant waiting to be written there!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...