Game Design and Project Resources: The Workshops Quarter > Computer Game Development - The Indie Alley

[Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim

<< < (2/45) > >>

Tusky:

--- Quote from: Jubal on April 13, 2018, 05:57:34 PM ---Nice! I really like the art style :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jubal! :)

--- Quote from: Jubal on April 28, 2018, 11:00:05 PM ---Any news on this? :)

--- End quote ---

Yes, I suppose there is. I've been working on textures so long it almost feels like I've done nothing else  ;D.

Setting

I have been giving a lot of thought to the setting for the new project. I didn't know whether to make it part of the real world, complete fantasy, or not address it. There are pros and cons to any of those approaches. Broadly, the main benefit of a fantasy setting is that it allows for using anything you want: monsters, potions etc. You can also make your own lore which is fun. However the project I am working on is concerned specifically with the medieval tournament, and I felt lent itself far more to existing in the real world somewhat.
I thought I would cheat a little bit, and have it set in a fantasy location that is thought to be on Earth, such as Avalon or Atlantis. Then you could have visitors from real nations but at the same time know that to an extent it is not a completely historically accurate recreation.

Knight Model

I had made a knight before, but I wasn't happy with it so redid the entire thing. There will be 3 upgrade-able armour metals, and 3 different armour models. Below is a pic of the steel armour crusader model:

Houses

I have come up with 13 playable houses, based on suggestions from this thread. In the previous post I mention how I created a range of textures (or "atlas") for one peasant. Well I've done the same thing for the knight, and made 13 variants for each house. I'll do that for any related models too (e.g. horse, shield etc) so you will be able to spot your champions at a distance. I am hoping it will serve the same purpose in the game as it used to on the medieval battlefield, allowing commanders to be easily recognised amongst large armies.

Well I completed that process for the knight. Here is a swatch to show you the results (in bronzed armour this time).

Horses

With my confirmed houses I also am going back over the other models to create 13 textures for each house. I am almost complete with the work on the long coated horse:

So once that is done I also need to do 13 accommodation tent textures and then maybe I can get back to actually doing some development on the game mechanics, which seems like a distant memory at the moment.

Name

I decided to call the game "Tourney", which I think sums up what it will be about!

SLiV:
Ooh this looks neat. I like the use of color pairs rather than just straight colorizations for each of the 13 houses, so they don't look too similar. Do you have 13 flags / logos ready that you can show us?

Jubal:
Lovely stuff!

I think Avalon is indeed a really good starting point location, as it has the classic Arthurian vibes. You could have two or three other tourney locations - maybe as unlockables, each one basically giving you a reskin of the tournament field? Atlantis could be a blue/classical themed one, and you could add Prester John's court (mythical medieval Christian monarch in central Asia who the crusaders kept hoping was going to turn up and save them all) as a more Byzantine/Orthodox themed option. If you want to expand even further, you could add Gulansharo, the City of Flowers, which is a far off and mysterious realm in medieval Georgian myth and could be more medieval east/south Asian themed (or anything else themed - it's not made at all clear where Gulansharo is in the poems).

Tusky:

--- Quote from: SLiV on April 29, 2018, 12:02:50 PM ---Ooh this looks neat. I like the use of color pairs rather than just straight colorizations for each of the 13 houses, so they don't look too similar. Do you have 13 flags / logos ready that you can show us?

--- End quote ---

Thank you! Yes I have a big old list for each of the houses colours, crest logo/s and pattern to keep them consistent. It's a surprisingly involved challenge actually.
I don't have the crests themselves yet. I'll be working on those next - since I just finished the last horse! I'll pop them on here once done so you can see.

--- Quote from: Jubal on April 29, 2018, 02:22:11 PM ---I think Avalon is indeed a really good starting point location, as it has the classic Arthurian vibes. You could have two or three other tourney locations - maybe as unlockables, each one basically giving you a reskin of the tournament field? Atlantis could be a blue/classical themed one, and you could add Prester John's court (mythical medieval Christian monarch in central Asia who the crusaders kept hoping was going to turn up and save them all) as a more Byzantine/Orthodox themed option. If you want to expand even further, you could add Gulansharo, the City of Flowers, which is a far off and mysterious realm in medieval Georgian myth and could be more medieval east/south Asian themed (or anything else themed - it's not made at all clear where Gulansharo is in the poems).

--- End quote ---

Awesome suggestions! Thanks... Yes I will probably have a few different starting locations for level progression, so may have to remember these :)

Tusky:
So these are the final crests and house names. I tweaked them a little bit from the other thread

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version