Off-topic and Chatter: The Jolly Boar Inn > General Chatter - The Boozer

What ya reading?

<< < (3/10) > >>

Jubal:
What's it about?

I'm struggling through yet more of Bryer & Winfield's Monuments of the Pontus, a book seemingly designed as a murder weapon first and a useful reference work second. I did buy a new Bernard Cornwell book the other day, hell knows when I'll get to read it!

Also, should we merge this thread with the other "what are you reading" thread in the Storytellers' Hall?

Clockwork:
It's a different take on Alice in Wonderland, it's more steampunk/clockwork and the hatter is  a bodyguard with hidden blades from assassins creed. I like the steampunk setting, I like the weirdness of the original Alice and I like the Tim Burton movie unfortunately the writing is... weird, and not in a good way. There was a line from star wars or something early on in the book and it was really out of place, things generally aren't described well enough (for me at least) and it doesn't do a great job of making any characters meaningful.

Is that more Byzantine stuff by any chance? ;)

Having the thread here is better imo.

Jubal:
I prefer the location of the other one, so we'll leave both put for now :P

Anyway - yes, Anthony Bryer really founded the Byz centre here in Birmingham, and did a huge amount of work on Trebizond & the Pontus which I'm drawing on for my current research, it's fantastically detailed and careful work. This particular book is a sort of Byzantinist's guidebook to the northern Turkish coast from Sinope to the modern Georgian border. He's technically still alive, but he's extremely old and his mind is apparently not so much functional any more which is sad :(

I feel I should read more steampunk as GS&S is ostensibly a steampunk setting, but I often find that steampunky stuff shoves a few too many arbitrary cogs in my face rather than having a good plot and writing.

Koobazaur:

I'm still reading Polish Wiedzmin: Sezon Burz, the latest of the Witcher novels by Andrzej Sapkowski released fairly recently compared to the oldies. Loving it so far, definitely one of my favorite in the series.

Also picked up another Polish book from my grampa: Tropami Powstańczej Przesyłki, an autobiographical tale from one of the Warsaw Ghetto boy handling mail delivery. Crawling through ruined trenches, getting out of German capture, and watching death and destruction spreading around. Pretty chilling, if fascinating...

Jubal:
I've been noticing recently just how much literature is unlocked when one can read multiple languages... I have so much learning to do :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version