Game Design and Project Resources: The Workshops Quarter > Norbayne

What is Norbayne?

<< < (2/10) > >>

Phoenixguard09:
Sorry it took so long to get back, I only found out that this post was here on a whim. I wish I had more time in my life these days but I just don't. That being said I do try and scan Exilian when I get a chance, I just don't get that much anymore. It is a pity, I miss you guys something awful.

To answer your questions, ones I'm glad you have: :)

1. Yes, alive, well and being playtested by an intrepid group. ;) I might even put the AP up on here at some stage, something I've been meaning to do for a while now.

2. Naturally, yes. Some people are naturally more adept than others. This is represented by increasing your Magic Level. Your Magic Level can also be improved right from the off if you make certain choices at character creation. ;)

3. Black and Spirit Magic can both be learnt by anyone, save that it is more risky and very hard work respectively.

4. Norbayne's Midlanders are probably the best to describe demographics of Magic Users as they are the most common "race" so to speak. First of all, the Midlands themselves are divided up into many kingdoms. The best way to describe it is as if Westeros had devolved into all the Noble Houses taking a shot at the big-time. This is to allow GM's plenty of freedom in coming up with their own kingdoms and political situations. In RPG's there's always times where you just need kings to die. This is to allow that without causing strife with the lore. Now there's one problem with your calculations, mainly that Magic, even Arcane Magic, is dangerous. Think Warhammer style lethality. Therefore the amount of magic users these kingdoms can call upon is relatively small. Many people distrust magic too, thinking it too dangerous and unwieldy. As such, a large proportion of "adventurers" tend to be magic users who have been sent away through prejudice against them. That being said, many rulers are magic users, having gotten into that position using their powers, or alternatively, they have plenty of time to practice and get it just right.

Striking deals with daemons is also frowned upon, leading to Black Magic users being ostracised extensively.

As you say, "barbarians" tend to be a little more in touch with their spiritual side.

It is a relatively Medieval High Fantasy setting with perhaps a little Steampunk and a dash of Horror in some cases.

Anyway, please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability. ;)

Cheers,

Clockwork:
Thank you for the answers! So glad it's still going! If I could get a .pdf of the rules/character sheets that would be awesome, and I'll be happy to run numbers and the like to check for anything 'ZOMG OP!!!!!111!!'.

On arcane magic: dangerous for the magic user directly as in said wizard/sorcerer/mage/warlock/nightblade/yougethteidea having their mind explode from the strain. Much like the movie 'Jumper' when he's telling the story of the guy that tried to jump a building. Or is it more 'GAAAHHHHHH TOOO MUCH PPPOOOOOWWWWWAAHHHHHHHHHH' and they explode like a 3 kiloton nuke.

Also given the prejudice against magic and the fact that everyone has the ability to do it, surely there are rebellions all the time over opression, I can see the serfs and low end of society being unhappy with the state of affairs when they could potentially have the power to topple kingdoms (perhaps I'm reading too much into the power of a mob of peasants with mind lazorz).

Also, given magics prevalance, would there be a 'Templar Order' a la Dragon Age? If so, are they seperate from the law or are they integrated like SWAT teams?

I think it's a brave thing you've done, giving so many the ability to use magic, but it'll also be difficult to draw the line. Keep me posted please! :D

Also I do have more questions but thought I'd keep my posts short(ish) and all the content similar.

Steampunk Minotaurs! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! I love you PG09.

Rob

Phoenixguard09:
At the moment, sadly a lot of the rules are still in "stream-of-consciousness-note-style" and therefore somewhat difficult to make sense of without me over your shoulder but I will definitely keep you updated and send what I can as soon as it is more legible. I'm actually in the process of doing so, rather than that being some form of future endeavour. :P

With regards to the magic, there are three charts to be rolled on upon a "Miscast," one for each of the varieties of magic. These charts have effects which range from blood vessels bursting to temporary blindness to burning, all the way through to blowing yourself up in a maelstrom of SHEER POWAH! The amount of energy you're putting into the spell affects just how dangerous the ill-effects are, in addition to the type of magic. Buggering up a Spirit spell is far less dangerous than, say, Black Magic, which has effects like the bound daemon materialises and causing havoc.

With regards to rebellions, absolutely. The amount of peasants running around with the ability to throw fireballs and summon storms is relatively small however. Magic is dangerous and generally seen as too difficult to master. Therefore in most societies it's only those with formal education in those arts that will have access to learning magic as a whole. However, there are always outliers of course and rebellions offer rich picking grounds for GM's. ;)

With regards to a Templar Order, I've never played Dragon Age but I believe I have an idea regarding what you are suggesting. I'd say that several kingdoms would have "special forces" much like what you suggest. I have only detailed one however, but that is a secret and I can't give it away. :D Sorry. ;)

And yes, please as many questions as you like my friend, keep them coming and I'll be happy to answer them. :)

Cheers mate,

Jubal:
PG: I'm going to start getting on and getting bits of the front-end site set up for RPG & tabletop & other projects soonish (by which I mean hopefully in the next month or two). If at any point you want me to knock a page or three together for Norbayne (probably when you've got closeish to a rules-set and want to have something to point people to) just give me a shout.

Phoenixguard09:
Brilliant mate that would be great. Really appreciated. ;)

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the AP thread I put up on the GitP forums. Three Coins, Two Birds and a Gilded Sword.

Anyway, thanks again Jub,
Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version