Author Topic: Background  (Read 7280 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Background
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
This is a historical document by one Dyhern Everhardt, scholar in his majesties glourious Swadian Empire.

Introduction:
It is the 1257 Common Era, and all of Calradia is slowly building up to unrestrained war. The peace that the people of the land enjoyed has been shattered by the warlike interests of the Lords of the realm. Calradia is not well.

Quick Note on Dates:
All dates mentioned herewith are approximate, and are to the best of my knowledge correct. Dates are given according to the Imperial Calendar and as such are measured with the first year of Dok Calradian rule as the Year 1.

On the Ancient Peoples of Calradia:
The Dok Tribes: The Dok tribes were the original inhabitants of Calradia (Even to scholars of the language spoken by the Dok Tribes, the meaning of the name of our country is unclear). Even today their dominion spreads from what is now the Rhodok Republic, all the way to frozen lands of Vorrok Clans. The Dok tribes were renowned for their ferocity in battle and were the first to bend animals to their will. The primitive, thundering charges of the Dok tribes heralded the fall of many primordial clans. Those who did not join them died. At their peak, Dok lands encompassed all of Calradia, from the great Southern Desert all the way to the Northern Coasts. To this day, the descendents of these tribes still hold the greater part of their ancestral lands.

The Yamato: The Yamato (Yamatonese for “Highlanders”) were an ancient confederation of tribes that came from the fabled lands to the south of Dok held Calradia in the year 62 Common Era. Supposedly their name stems from their mountainous homeland, and indeed, all major pushes for land have always been in the direction of the major mountain ranges in Calradia, namely the Bear’s Labyrinth in the West and the Sentinels and the Steppe Ranges in the North. This can only be truly explained by an ingrained nature in these people to seek out a place that is familiar to them. In the current era, Yamato blood still flows in those of Khergit or Nihon ancestry.

The Archmaenir: The Archmaenir (It is unknown what the Archamenir called themselves however Archmaenir means “Desert Wraiths” in Old Dok. It is presumed this refers to their uncanny ability to simply rise up and disappear into the sands of their homeland) were a single, strong and yet nomadic tribe, who lived in the great Southern Desert. In the year 389 Common Era, they rose up from the Dok held Southern Desert and staked their claim on the land. Unwilling to shed blood over such infertile land, the Dok tribes elected to allow the Archmaenir to keep it.

The Drakon: The Drakon are the newest of the people of Calradia. Arriving in their massive, iron-bound Longships, the Drakon quickly took the Northern Coasts for themselves in the year 627. Coming from a race who is experienced in taking other people’s land, the Drakon made ready to repel the inevitable Dok counter-attack. The two armies met in the shadow of the walls Werblin (“Walled Citadel” in Old Dok), modern day Wercheg. The toll of lives on both sides was horrific but in the end the Dok cavalry charge couldn’t break through the determined Drakon shieldwall and the Dok army retreated from the field and ceded the lands north of present day Curaw to the Drakon.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:14:42 PM by Jubal »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Background
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »
On The Current Realms of Calradia:
The Swadian Empire: Time has changed little in regards to the composition of Swadian forces. Just like their Dok ancestors, over one thousand years ago, the Swadians continue to use the cavalry charge to break the enemy. All of the kingdoms who claim Dok heritage, at one point seceded from the Swadian Empire. Indeed Empire may be a little pretentious, as of the year 1226, when the Halrond Confederation announced its departure from Swadia’s protection, leaving the Swadian Empire with no more protectorates.

During the 8th Century constant war with the Nordic Kingdom and the Khergit Khanate, left its mark upon the people and architecture of both the north and south. Fiefs continually changing hands led to the adoption of foreign clothing, architecture, mannerisms and in some cases even nationality. In fact the large, Khergit, city of Halmar only changed hands in the year 792 and has remained Khergit ever since.

The Vaegir Rus: The first independent kingdom to secede from the Swadian Empire, the Vaegir Rus controls the lands to the East. Border disputes often occur between the two kingdoms and the Vaegir Tzar and the Swadian Emperor traditionally have no love for each other.
Aside from these border disputes, the Tzar’s realm is mostly peaceful, the bitter cold precluding most fighting. Or at least it would if not for the reign of Tzar Isevanitk (916-972. Isevanitk was a cruel ruler, given to unnecessary fits of rage, often impaling unfortunates alive and watching as they slowly choked to death on the wooden stake. His rampages eventually caused almost half of his kingdom to rebel. Taking the ancient towns of Dornoch and Inverrie, the rebels holed themselves up for a siege.

Isevanitk, while the Vaegir Tzar, was also intrigued in new technology. When he heard of the rebellion, he decided to test one of his newest inventions, a mangonel that fired hollow ammunition, filled shards of glass that would crack open on impact and hopefully lacerate those nearby. So intent was he on witnessing first-hand the destruction his invention would cause, he even assigned himself to the artillery crew. By a sheer stroke of luck, a rope snagged around the spurs on the Tzar’s riding boots and flung him over the rebel’s walls, killing him instantly. Almost as soon as the mad Tzar collided with the pavement, the Vaegir army melted away.

A treaty was sent from Isevanitk’s successor, his cousin Isenovitk, a thankfully much more level-headed ruler, offering an apology and pardon for any rebel soldiers. However the rebels at this point were adamant about going back to the old ways, forgoing proper civilisation and technology of any kind. (Having witnessed firsthand what comes of dabbling too much in the occult of mechanics) Thus were the Vorroks born.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:14:58 PM by Jubal »
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Background
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:09:17 PM »
Bugger.

When we shifted forums it looks like all this was lost. :(
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Ta-da :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:20:21 PM »
Haha thanks mate. It's been so long I thought I had more. :P
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
That's all I could find on the old site, at least!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 03:54:41 PM »
Yeah I think that is all I typed up  I must try to find the old book I wrote all that in when I was at the old university.

Thanks again mate. ;)
(\__/)