Author Topic: My Catapult/Trebuchet!  (Read 2630 times)

lordryan756

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My Catapult/Trebuchet!
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »
So, I was in my "Into to Comp App." class (Which only has 8 people, and is a generally lazy class.). One of my friends had the same teacher for Woodshop, and they were making Catapults. Today was supposed to bring them home, but he didn't want to, and the teacher didn't have any room to keep it in. I said I'd take it. Here are pics :P
Front
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Left
Right
Rear

Sort of a "Woh, that's neat, I want one!" moments, didn't even think of it until I had to wrestle it into the Bus :D

Edit: Hit "URL" instead of "Image" by mistake!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:04:52 PM by lordryan756 »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My Catapult/Trebuchet!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
So does that mechanism at the bottom slide to stop the firing arm going too far before releasing? Also, what are the weights made of?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

lordryan756

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
By mechanism do you mean that black bar being used as the pivot? Yah, it is what provides the tension/rubber-band-effect(Dunno how, it just does). The weights are just blocks of wood. I believe my friend (who made this) said 20lb? Not completely sure on the weight.
Also, i've shot it ~10 times so far, furthest distance is at 2 or so yards. This means I can launch stuff at the cars passing by out of my window (joke) :D.

lordryan756

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
Oh, just realized that you meant either the half-cup or the pin. I took the cup off, since I wanted a Trebuchet, not a catapult. The pin is what the red loop goes around to stop it from firing. I attached a little rope so I don't accidently kill myself :P

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:41:49 AM »
Beer launching Trebuchet! Now that's an idea!

Btw. Test it on Heineken... That way if something goes wrong no beer gets wasted. :P
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

lordryan756

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »
Can't really do that, since 1. The sling is too small 2. There's no beer here 3. I'm 14, so no touching beer, if we had any :P. If I ever do, i'll record for you guys!