Author Topic: defending all your assets  (Read 8224 times)

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
defending all your assets
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »
right we have the place to discuss Empire so I will

in empire one of the big changes will be that settlement add-ons will all show up on the map and that opposing armies can block them off, starving a settlement.

I'm not to sure about this cause it seems like the total war series is getting more and more towards tedious micromanagement, which is not fun and is what eventually put me off the age of empires/empire earth games. I have always thought of Shogun as probably the best in the series because it has a much simpler play style that can still be challenging.

anyone else have opinions?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »
I prefer optional micromanagement, soemtimes it's fun but sometime ya just wanna fight!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
I wouldnt mind seeing buliding form the strat map but blocking them off and all might be too tedious.

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »
that's my exact point, in shogun you could just move your men etc and be into battle now there is becoming to much management and not enough mass slaughter

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
One thing I didn't like about shogun was that the battle field for a province was the same no matter where you were, so once you knew the good and bad places to fight and defend, it got boring.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:42:16 AM »
Theres only ONE map in Shogun, the same for every province?

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
no every province has a single battle map associated with it, I must say I like the newer method because the battles can become more interesting

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:55 AM »
Course theres always the rick youl end up being put on a hug mountain side and have to walk horizontaly across a incredibly steep slope to engage the enemy.

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
hmm, I usually auto resolve them, unless I have a good chance of loosing that way

sembrius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
I think that in RTW the micromanagement thing was as developed as it should be in MTW 2 with the catholic church annoying you all the time it just got irritating
I suspect they will just develop it more which is going in the wrong direction in my opinion
The beauty of RTW is its simplicity to play and its low demands on your PC's memory and they really should make it as good as they can but with lower user specs after all people buy games for the graphics and the battles not for overly fussy micro management and trait systems

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 06:18:52 AM »
Lol, the graphics and battles are what take up the power if you hadn't noticed. All the micromanagement etc. Takes up bugger all but your brain. Take that away and throw in ragdoll, you still need a supercomputer to run it. :P
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »
Yes, graphics are the ones that strain your computer, although too many features can also cause lag. Personally, i like them to delay the game another year and streamline the game and graphics so that even mediocre computers can play the game on medium settings and the graphics still look m2twish.