Author Topic: Credits  (Read 5050 times)

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • It is easier to criticize than to correct our past
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Credits
« on: September 16, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Credits
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
Nice - how did you get hold of the music files and have you done much research into the copyright on them? Lifting music direct from other games sounds very cool but is a good way of getting sued or legally threatened by the music's owner, and obviously none of us want that to happen!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Skull

• Magister equitum
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
Will I credited all of them,and I don't think much of them even know what Rome Total War is... :-\
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
My advice would still be not to use them - it's unlikely anyone will notice of course, but there were a few horrible court cases about five years back where modders got taken to court or just got their mods/websites shut down, and so I always err on the side of caution. I'd suggest writing to the music makers and specifically getting permission (the unused M&B stuff or Ben Hur stuff is probably fine, but the makers of Skyrim or Civ 4 getting pissed off would worry me a lot more).

As some suggestions for replacement tracks you could use:
http://www.royaltyfreekings.com/store/free-epic-music/
You can DL and use the stuff on this page for free as long as you provide a link to their site.
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/?feels=Epic
This site, by a guy called Kevin MacLeod, is fantastic, a lot of good music (again you just need to put it in the credits)

The stuff from those two would be better as they specifically say you can use it by crediting them, so there's no possibility of any problems with it.

Hope that's helpful - it's a pain and it makes a lot of sense to just think that crediting people is enough, but for the big game production companies (and even some other modders at times!) they don't always see it that way and we have to play by the rules we get given sadly because we don't have the big budgets and lawyers needed to break them and get away with it.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Skull

• Magister equitum
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
My advice would still be not to use them - it's unlikely anyone will notice of course, but there were a few horrible court cases about five years back where modders got taken to court or just got their mods/websites shut down, and so I always err on the side of caution. I'd suggest writing to the music makers and specifically getting permission (the unused M&B stuff or Ben Hur stuff is probably fine, but the makers of Skyrim or Civ 4 getting pissed off would worry me a lot more).

As some suggestions for replacement tracks you could use:
http://www.royaltyfreekings.com/store/free-epic-music/
You can DL and use the stuff on this page for free as long as you provide a link to their site.
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/?feels=Epic
This site, by a guy called Kevin MacLeod, is fantastic, a lot of good music (again you just need to put it in the credits)

The stuff from those two would be better as they specifically say you can use it by crediting them, so there's no possibility of any problems with it.

Hope that's helpful - it's a pain and it makes a lot of sense to just think that crediting people is enough, but for the big game production companies (and even some other modders at times!) they don't always see it that way and we have to play by the rules we get given sadly because we don't have the big budgets and lawyers needed to break them and get away with it.

Why would companies do that?!??!?!

Ughhh... OK,Skyrim goes away,but some of Civ music must stay.
I will check out these sites now.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
It's just how they operate - as I say, some are fine, but it's best to get written permission where possible or use covers instead of the original tracks.  :)

Skull

• Magister equitum
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
OK,thanks for the tips.
The music on these sites is pretty damn good!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
No problem, none of us want to see other modders having problems with this stuff.  :)