Author Topic: The Roman Law Project and FAQs  (Read 5100 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Roman Law Project and FAQs
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
Okay, so essentially the Exilian Roman Law project is simple. The aim is to get a complete copy of the Roman Law of Justinian, in English, available to everyone, in a format better than the current English translation here:
http://constitution.org/sps/sps.htm

Where there are literally three BOOKS of text on a page and no way of getting even to book you want easily let alone the chapter. The Roman Law is one of the most important features of medieval jurisprudence, academia, and political thought, and having a properly indexed copy available online could be hugely helpful.

What I've been doing, therefore, is taking the pages from the above site, adding anchor tags to all the titles, doing a bit of reformatting, and coming up with this:
https://exilian.co.uk/academy/romanlaw/index.php

There is, however, a problem. That being the fact that the Roman Law comprises of:
- The Digests (On interpretation of laws, fifty books)
- The Codex (Old Laws, 12 books, but they're often much longer than those of the Digests)
- The Novels (New Laws, another nine books)
- The Institutes (General principles, four books)
- A couple of other bits and bobs

And that's quite a lot to try and sort through on my own, so any help would be very welcome! I'll put instructions on how to prepare a book for upload here, and hopefully we'll find some people willing to prepare a book or two. I think it takes me between half an hour and forty minutes for an average book of the Digests, more like an hour per book of the Codex; even just getting one book done would help so if you have time to burn, do consider it!

FAQs

Is this even relevant to anything ever?
Justinian's Roman Law is still often studied by law students today - it's at the foundations of western jurisprudence and, equally importantly, political thought. It was at the core of many key medieval disputes between the Empire, kingdoms, the Papacy, and city-states, and was used as a key "authority" in scholastic thought. So... yup?

I want to know more about helping!
To learn more about how to help, click here: https://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2564.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:46:48 PM by Glaurung »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Roman Law Project
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
I can attempt? o.O Maybe..
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Roman Law Project
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
How to thread is up.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...