Poll

What should the name of this game be?

Author Topic: Name change: thoughts wanted!  (Read 5276 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Name change: thoughts wanted!
« on: November 12, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
So, I need to change the name of the game as someone else is making a skirmish wargame atm called Age of Tyrants and I don't want to tread on toes. Which of the above names do people like?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Name change: thoughts wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
I don't have any firm view (so no vote, I'm afraid), but I do have some rather disjointed thoughts.

My suspicion is that "turannos" is not going to mean much to people unless they're historians with some knowledge of the relevant period; on the other hand, it's a nice distinctive trademarkable word, which might work on combination with a more descriptive phrase or subtitle.

"A Game of Tyrants" ought to be sufficiently distinct to avoid attention from a certain other "A Game of..." franchise, but I don't know how litigious they are. Then again, "A Game of..." feels a bit odd to me as the name of a game.

An alternative, getting away from the explicit reference to tyrants, might be something based on "Polis", as being the setting that each player is trying to gain control of.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
I feel the tyrant reference is better than the polis one, as polis perhaps makes people expect classical rather than archaic Greece (to the extent that people know the difference).

"A/The Game Of" perhaps works better as a subtitle, leaning toward the first option presented?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:21:10 AM »
Option No.1 for me.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 10:54:25 PM »