Author Topic: Game Maths Primer  (Read 1580 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Game Maths Primer
« on: November 10, 2023, 02:26:02 PM »
https://gamemath.com/

Saw someone share the link to this on Mastodon and reposting here in case it's of interest to people :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

psyanojim

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Game Maths Primer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 03:00:42 PM »
Thats quite a fun looking book.

Starts off nice and simple in Chapter 1 - how to count on your fingers :D

The first few Chapters seem to cover the basics well.

And it gets into some pretty complex stuff by the end. For example, Chapter 13 - Splines - my Maths MSc dissertation was on numerical techniques to use these critters to approximate solutions for non-linear differential equations.

Its the kind of book I'd happily work through to keep my skills 'fresh' in my head and to fill in gaps in my knowledge.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 05:14:06 PM »
I'm wondering if I should read/work through at least the first bits sometime: it's well over a decade since I did any maths and it might be good for my brain to have the refresher.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

psyanojim

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
I'm wondering if I should read/work through at least the first bits sometime: it's well over a decade since I did any maths and it might be good for my brain to have the refresher.

I'd say give Chapters 1-5 a try first, see how you get on. The difficulty ramps up slowly and the concepts stay pretty grounded in 'reality'.

Chapter 6 seems to be the point where things get 'messy', suddenly you are into 4D space, polar/spherical coordinate maths, multi-dimensional complex numbers...

... for me as a maths geek first and an engineering/science geek second (the distinction being that maths is a tool for the latter, and an end in itself for the former), its at this point that I become utterly bewildered by the fact that some of these crazy, esoteric concepts have any use in reality whatsoever :D

And then my head explodes and I go and have a cup of tea.