Game Design and Project Resources: The Workshops Quarter > Computer Game Development - The Indie Alley

Innkeep! - Serve Ale. Collect Rumors. Make Coin.

<< < (2/29) > >>

Jubal:
This looks great :)

Are there different types of drink you can serve to the different customer types etc?

BeerDrinkingBurke:
Thanks. ;-)

There will be. Although I'm still working out the details, the current plan is for the quality of the drink to be important. Some guests will pay more for high quality drinks. However, there is the quality of the "brand", and the -actual- quality. There might be some discrepancy because water somehow *cough* got mixed in at some stage. Goodness me. If a guest is pretty sloshed they might not notice at all.

BeerDrinkingBurke:

Time for dev diary #6.

== Major Features ==

- There is now an icon system for guest needs. Right now that means simply drinking, but later could include food and shelter. When a guest doesn't have a drink, an icon will appear at the top of the screen. Icons slide along and stack on each other properly. This system allows you to immediately have the information you need about how many people need serving. You can also find out which icon represents which guest by mousing over it, which makes that guest become highlighted.

- There is now a barmaid. When idling she will walk around the tavern sweeping. She will also collect empty tankards from the tables and return them to the shelf for you.

- Guests will now smoke pipes sometimes. Each smoker is adding to the total amount of smoke in the room. As the amount increases clouds of pipe smoke will increase in number and become more visible, wafting about. By the end of a busy night the inn might become quite smokey.

- Guests now actually sit down instead of standing next to their tables. Perhaps not a "major feature" from a gameplay perspective, but required a significant amount of work integrating/adapting sprites properly with the tables and benches when sitting. It wasn't enough simply to make the guest sprites shorter.

== Minor Changes ==

- The glove cursor is now drawn to GUI, so it goes -over- GUI elements like a good glove cursor should.

- There is now a cellar door. That goes nowhere....

- Added a circular glow effect to the candles.

- Added a proper debugging mode that I can switch on and off, making various cheat buttons active for spawning things and changing different variables.

Jubal:
I will give this major bonus points if I'm allowed to serve people salted beer. :P

BeerDrinkingBurke:
Lol. Is that a thing? Salt makes people thirsty, so they drink more??

By the way, the new domain for the game site is up and running at www.innkeepgame.com. There is a new fairly lengthy post on there about recent developments in my thinking on what the game will be. The long and the short of it is that I'm pretty excited! I'm pushing much further now towards a persistent world outside your inn, which itself acts as a kind of window where you both help steer the fate of the adventurers passing through, and see the results (and hopefully reap the rewards) of your actions when they come back from their adventures. Tweets guests will have a lot more significance in being connected to events that have actually (well, virtually) happened to them on their travels or personally generated histories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version