Author Topic: Life Trade - a short story  (Read 2523 times)

WatchAdam

• Check out my novel WE, THE WATCHED!
    • View Profile
    • Adam Bender writes...
    • Awards
Life Trade - a short story
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share one of my short stories with you all.

This one is called "Life Trade". http://www.adambenderwrites.com/2013/01/06/life-trade-short-story/

It's about an online match-making service that lets someone permanently trade places with someone else! Sort of light sci-fi in the style of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Hope you enjoy.
Adam Bender, author
Check out my blog at www.adambenderwrites.com
Read my novels WE, THE WATCHED and DIVIDED WE FALL.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Life Trade - a short story
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:07:19 PM »
I really enjoyed this! I felt like I wasn't getting all the references - never having indeed seen, let alone heard of, Eternal Sunshine - but I thought it was a very neat short story indeed. I wasn't sure (which I quite liked as an effect) whether there was really an authorial stance on LifeTrade, it neither came across as "Yay brave new future" or "Sci-fi idea DESTROYS EVERYTHING", which are the two extremes that short sci-fi stories very often tend to end up at. For a lot of it I was sort of expecting the main character to choose to trade lives at the end; it had a sort of build of inevitability which was side-stepped quite gracefully. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

WatchAdam

• Check out my novel WE, THE WATCHED!
    • View Profile
    • Adam Bender writes...
    • Awards
Re: Life Trade - a short story
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks!! I have a new story about the same concept coming soon, which I hope to eventually share with you all. It's called "A LifeTrade Wedding" and is about a groom leaving his bride at the altar but finding a replacement for himself.
Adam Bender, author
Check out my blog at www.adambenderwrites.com
Read my novels WE, THE WATCHED and DIVIDED WE FALL.