Author Topic: Backstory  (Read 9253 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
The world of Ithrala has been rent apart by war between the races, war that has destroyed Empires, and left just tribes, wandering in fear of the barbarians and wild raiders that plague the land. Some attempt to settle, to build a better world for their children, others simply burn and pillage, Heidellan, Human, Danaan, Hanau, Dzong, or Achead... All the races are entering an different era, as they rebuild their towns and scattered peoples.

Starting with just a few people in a muddy village somewhere in the world, it is your task to lead your people to forge anew the greatness of days past, whether by rampaging across the steppes and striking trade caravans without warning, or pillaging Danaan colonies on the north seas, or by building great monuments, or forging alliances with your neighbouuring towns and building an empire that will never be forgotten.

Will your tribe prosper? Conquer? Grow rich? Properous? Will you be a tyrant or a benevolent lord of your people? The only one who can save your people is you, as you enter a wrold of Raiders and Traders...

Factions;

Humans
Humans are the most common race in Ithrala. With a wide variety of troops, large numbers, and great flexibility, they are the easiest race to play, but nevertheless hard to master.

Tuatha De Danaan
The most ancient of races, the Danaan are unmatched in skill and prowess in all fields - battle not the least, but thier merchants and traders and artisans are all masters of thier fields. However, they reporduce slowly, and battle losses another race might shake off are crippling to a Danaan force.

Heidellans
The Heidellans are born for war - war is the life they live, the food on thier fires, the air they breathe. Emergingfrom the southlands in great hordes with mighty beasts of war in thier train, when a Heidellan goes on th warpath none shall stand before them. Though low in technology or economic power, these savages rely on true savagery and the honour of battle.

Dzongka
These squat, bearded men from the great eastern mountains are enduring as the hills in which they live, named for the great Dzong fortresses of the mountains. While few in number, their talent for minign and artisanship, and their natural tenacty and ednurance, will stand them in good stead against any manner of foe.

Hanau
Tall, with green skin, large ears, and wide, staring eyes, these strange peoples of the southeastern seas are the masters of trade, technology and commerce, thier genius making up for their feeble bodies. However, until a Hanau leader can get sufficient technology to secure his lands, he should be wary, for the hanau are not born fighters, and must be skilled negotiators to win their wars...

Achead
These short folk live with human auxiliaries around the great lakes of the central continent. They live in great city-states, and are proud and tough, and ready to take any opportunity to win battles. They rely on mercenaries a lot, but also produce some of the best warriors in Ithrala.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »
aww, why so unadventurous, all those seem rather generic fantasy, heres a quick breakdown

Humans, the staple of any fantasy game, fo those who want to relate to a fantasy

Better-than-humans-in-evry-way-but-get-less-sex-than-the-geekiest-of-geeks, commonly knows as elves

Crazy savage hordes who like to fight, let me guess limited vocabulary and grunting for communication? ork pie anyone?

Short tough talented and beardy humans who live in mountains, yeah, dwarfs

I'll admit the Hanau are a nice idea

And short humans who leave near normal humans, filthy hobbitses

The inspiration of JRR Tolkien shines through.
Sorry for sounding like an arse, but I really dislike when writers use the Lord of the Rings universe as the main point of inspiration, at least you put some effort in and came up with a new one.

but why can't your savages be that way because say, they have an tough exoskeleton and find it hard to do work because it hinders their ability to do things delicately, they can do rudimentary farming but can only make a real living as warriors, either as large tribes who raid others, or mercenaries

but yeah, I just like seeing truly imaginative settings, becase they excite my imagination

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
The setting is, I think, more adventurous than I make it sound...  :unsure:                                                      

The savages are very much based on Neanderthals, and their beasts of war are based on extinct mammals (ground sloths par exemple)

The achead are in NO WAY hobbits. They are definitively tougher than most races and are overlords of thier fellow humans. They have a greek-style theme too.

Yea, the Dzongka are pretty cliched, but the eastern/bhuddist style should differentiate them from the norm.

THe Danaan are not normal elves either - their armies have some real heavy hitters (such as giants) and they are certainly not nice guys in any way. THey have an irish/celtic theme to them.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »
so maybe supply some deeper lore and the such for each race rather than the rather generic descriptions you have up now.
If you had put that stuff up then maybe I would have taken more of a shine to it

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »
Sorry, I just dashed it off fast and didn't think too much, most of my notes for the factions are on paper.

CN2

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • *..Vacui Paraiso..*
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »
How about you make a race of people who rely on paper clips to live? Or A race that is now almost extinct and rlies on its alien super advanced technology to survive? Or the paper clips...
CN2's song of the week - Heavy glow - Hot mess

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
This is staying pre-gunpower, and thus, alas, pre paperclip.

CN2

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • *..Vacui Paraiso..*
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
Aww man... How about a race of people who are not exactly savages but dont use weapons to kill... just their hands? And they are agile and can make stuff invisible?
CN2's song of the week - Heavy glow - Hot mess

nokanomi

• View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:07:29 AM »
well i mean, all things considered, i agree with stormclouds first post on this topic, somewhat. you make it sound like all stereo typical mmo's. honestly, sorry for sounding flaming, or whatever but it has to be said, anyway i have a few questions about this game...first and foremost, will this game use a custom built engine or one that has already been made? and uh, any non combat, like mining, forging, smithing, crafting, foraging, farming ect. or will thise game focus primarily on combat? and what about cn2's question, some serious martial arts race would be kind of cool for a change. also, how will combat be handled anyway? will it have a pirates vikings and knights  2(http://www.pvkii.com/main.php?page=pvkiiabout) / mount and blade (http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx) feel where based on where the mouse is pointing is where you attack feel? visa versa for blocking, or will it be more like tes IV oblivion (http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm) where blocking and attacking is generic?(sorry if i broke any rules with those links, first post lol) will the technologichal advancement be stranded 2 (http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/s2_infos.php) style where you build a building to get more tech and buildings or will it be more allegiance (http://www.microsoft.com/games/allegiance/features.htm) style where building a building unlocks technology for you to research? will the player be able to build buildings like in stranded 2 (not posting link again)? or will it be more mount and blade style where you can only tell the villagers what to build and they build it, with no interferance from you? thanks, it would be nice if you could answer those questions

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
Quote from: "nokanomi"
well i mean, all things considered, i agree with stormclouds first post on this topic, somewhat. you make it sound like all stereo typical mmo's. honestly, sorry for sounding flaming, or whatever but it has to be said, anyway i have a few questions about this game...first and foremost, will this game use a custom built engine or one that has already been made? and uh, any non combat, like mining, forging, smithing, crafting, foraging, farming ect. or will thise game focus primarily on combat? and what about cn2's question, some serious martial arts race would be kind of cool for a change. also, how will combat be handled anyway? will it have a pirates vikings and knights  2(http://www.pvkii.com/main.php?page=pvkiiabout) / mount and blade (http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx) feel where based on where the mouse is pointing is where you attack feel? visa versa for blocking, or will it be more like tes IV oblivion (http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm) where blocking and attacking is generic?(sorry if i broke any rules with those links, first post lol) will the technologichal advancement be stranded 2 (http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/s2_infos.php) style where you build a building to get more tech and buildings or will it be more allegiance (http://www.microsoft.com/games/allegiance/features.htm) style where building a building unlocks technology for you to research? will the player be able to build buildings like in stranded 2 (not posting link again)? or will it be more mount and blade style where you can only tell the villagers what to build and they build it, with no interferance from you? thanks, it would be nice if you could answer those questions
The game engine is entirely written by me, which is why it's pretty crap.

It's a city builder, so the focus is on management really.

Combat will be done in a relatively text-based manner - the idea is that the player is a city ruler rather than an actual battle commander (I may add a system where you can train commanders to lead your troops at some point).

I think the main thing to add is that this is a very lightweight game - it's never going to be as good or professional in style as professionally made games since the programming is done by a single person in small chunks of spare time. The hope is that I can make a simpler text based city-builder fun for people to play.

nokanomi

• View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 02:23:42 AM »
you didnt tell me weather or not you could influence the villagers in building whatever they are currently building...will you have any skills that modify anything in the construction time? ect. ect.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Backstory
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
There will be some buildings you need to order contstructed, others will spring up of their own accord.

For example; a barracks or a palace is a civic building, so you would need to order that. A tavern, on the other hand, would open on its own, as would slave traders, markets, and so on.
^ Note that this is by way of future plans, most of this stuff is nowhere near implemented yet.