Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 31329 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »
Let me know what you think if you ever do :)

I just finished reading Shalimar the Clown, in what I guess is a slightly similar genre in some ways, though it's much less heavily magical realist and has more political/thriller elements to it. It's by Salman Rushdie and it's very intense, with the various characters being pulled apart both by their difficult (and, often, violent) personal lives and by political turmoil, especially the war in Kashmir though numerous other 20th century conflicts also make important appearances. Rushdie isn't really a thriller or plot-centric writer, and he's much more about characters and storytelling than about plots and pacing, and it's definitely at its best when exploring the relationships between the characters, their psychology, their history, and the history and folklore of their backgrounds. If anything I'd have liked that to come through more strongly at the tail end of the book, but that's a minor flaw - there were certainly moments where the emotional weight of the book really hit through in a way that not many books manage, and it's that narrative method of essentially binding together pain and brutality with history and narrative in a way that makes it almost, but not quite, comprehensible that I think this book does really very well. Very powerful read.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
My read for this trip to the UK was Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees - which I absolutely loved. It's a 1920s (I think) piece of fairytale/fantasy writing, involving a land on the borders of faerie and the attempts of its people to avoid falling under the spell of fairy fruit. It was apparently quite influential on Neil Gaiman and I can see how, it's a very good piece of fairy-story fantasy. I probably enjoyed it more than most things I've read in quite some time.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
I am re-reading the dragons of autumn twilight at the moment. It must be 20 years since I read it, but still enjoying it. Still, amazed at how much I remember from it!
I can't tell if it's because of nostalgia, or it is actually a good fantasy tale. I think it's latter, but as I say I can't tell how much I'm being biased.

Has anyone read the dragonlance chronicles as an adult who can cast their opinion?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:44:19 AM by Tusky »
Select AppleDanish From Pantry Where Count(MyDeliciousThings) < 1

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2019, 11:30:49 PM »
I've never read Dragonlance - should I?

What I have read recently is a book of Georgian folk tales, which was excellent and also bizarre. I really now want to read some Armenian, Azeri, and Russian tales for the comparisons... there are some fascinating tropes I've not come across elsewhere, the usual cast of kadjis and devis (as Mountain Leopards readers will know of) but type characters like the "beardless deceiver", an apparently human trickster figure distinguishable for not having a beard. And some interesting cultural tropes - the desire of people who get good fortune to invite the King to dinner, even though this inevitably goes badly for them, for example. All very interesting stuff :)