Author Topic: The Owlbear (Skin for the Knight)  (Read 3429 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Owlbear (Skin for the Knight)
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
The Owlbear Skinpack

So, I decided to try a slightly more ambitious skin than usual, and do something a bit less human. As such, you can probably tell more than usual with this one that it's definitely an inferior art style to the original, though hopefully it's not too bad - I present to you the Owlbear skin, for the Knight :)

This is the first skin I've done that completely re-does all the facial expressions etc for a playable character, which definitely makes the owlbear look a bit more home-made than my other skins. It's less sharp than I'd like and I think that does still make it look a bit out of place compared to the very crisp, clean illustrations in the original art style, but for a first attempt at a face it could be worse. I used an actual owl photo to trace the proportions roughly & place the eyes etc, then added the details, then did the body. I just picked an owlbear because they're a fun concept and I've been thinking about them recently (including doing a bit of writing).

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS
1. Navigate to: Steam/steamapps/common/Son of A Witch/Witch.app/contents/resources/gfx/knight
2. MAKE A COPY of the "knight.png" file (call it something like knight_blue)
3. Paste the knight_owl.png contained in the zip file (attached to this post, below) into the folder, and rename it to "knight.png".
4. If you want to switch back to the normal blue knight, just switch the filenames back round.

As with all modpacks this is an unofficial project, released for free and downloaded/used entirely at the user's own risk.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: The Owlbear (Skin for the Knight)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:44:53 PM »
This looks so cool, I'm on the edge of including it into the official game. But it does look a bit off compared to the style of the other characters.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:18:25 PM »
Yeah... I definitely need practice before I get anything anywhere near as good as the actual SoaW art. I think maybe the brushes I'm using are too soft, so the lines aren't crisp enough? I have a lot of other ideas for skins to make, so hopefully I'll improve :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
Yeah... I definitely need practice before I get anything anywhere near as good as the actual SoaW art. I think maybe the brushes I'm using are too soft, so the lines aren't crisp enough?

Most probably. I find that it's hard to replicate character graphics with a raster (bitmap) drawing program. If you want to draw sharp lines with preciseness better use some vector program where you can draw a line and then "move" the anchor points until it fits the shape you desire. A good program for this is Inkscape.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »
Yeah, that's true. I should learn to use Inkscape, but I probably don't have time sadly with all the other programming and work I need to do :(