Author Topic: Gene editing tech advances again  (Read 1767 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Gene editing tech advances again
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:42:05 PM »
Interesting new stuff about gene tech advances - I feel a lot of this stuff is very under the radar right now, despite the tech being in an increasingly advanced state, which may be a bad combination...

Scientists have demonstrated an "incredibly powerful" ability to manipulate the building blocks of life in two separate studies.

One altered the order of atoms in DNA to rewrite the human genetic code and the instructions for life. The other edited RNA, which is a chemical cousin of DNA and unlocks the information in the genetic code.

The studies - which could eventually treat diseases - have been described as clever, important and exciting. Cystic fibrosis, inherited blindness and other diseases caused by a single typo in the genetic code could ultimately be prevented or treated with such approaches.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41724994
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gene editing tech advances again
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »

One altered the order of atoms in DNA
Lolwut?

But yeah it's pretty crazy how far gene editing technologies have come, I feel like the main thing holding back research now is the ethical issues. No doubt we'll be seeing genetically engineered super babies someday. Intelligent design ftw.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:59:33 PM »
I guess they mean the order of base pairs? Which kinda technically reorders the atoms in the sense that literally moving anything ever puts atoms in a different order...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
Yeah it was deamination of certain bases.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
*Looks up deamination*

OK, that makes vague sense I think :)