Author Topic: NARNIA TW 1.0 RELEASE THREAD  (Read 6296 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
NARNIA TW 1.0 RELEASE THREAD
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »

The Narnia TW 1.0 Release Thread

Caspian X of the Telmarine Kingdom of Narnia, usurped by his uncle Miraz, rallies the creatures of Old Narnia who still reside in the deep forests. As our mod opens, he readies his rag-tag force of talking beasts and rebel humans for war against the armies of his Telmarine relatives. The backdrop is set for war... but there are other stirrings, too, well beyond Narnia's borders, too. In the north, the followers of Jadis, the White Witch, plot the overthrow of the fertile lands of Narnia, and the giants of Harfang are hungry for blood. Out to sea, the Lone Islands and Terebinthia have been all but forgotten by Narnia's rulers, and their ships plough the seas in search of trade and treasure. Meanwhile, to the south, the vast Calormene Empire is in turmoil, and awaits a strong Tisroc to rebuild it in the face of its enemies, the camel-riding priesthood of Munesh and the cloth-swaddled tribesmen of Erin. As the tides of war crash over Narnia, there can be only one victor - what awaits is total war!

Welcome to Narnia Total War! This mod brings CS Lewis' fantasy masterpiece into the classic Rome: Total War engine, with a wide array of units and factions to choose from as you fight across the Narnian world.

Developed by award-winning modder Jubal Barca (also creator of the RTW mods Warhammer TW, Battle for Antares IV, and A Game of Colleges), and a team including Comrade_General (creator of Valar Morghulis, Rise of Atlantis, Orcs & Humans, and Persian Invasion), Narnia Total War is one of the largest and most complete fantasy total conversions of the Rome: Total War engine. Including a full campaign as well as custom battles, the game is set at the start of Lewis' Prince Caspian, though with elements from all the Narnia books - wealthy, powerful Calormenes from The Horse and His Boy, flamboyant giants of Harfang from The Silver Chair, the anarchic, free-trading Lone Islands from Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and more - included in a mod that is steeped in the lore of the setting.

The mod goes deep into both the lore and critiques of CS Lewis' work to expand views of Narnia beyond the Narnian, building up the Telmarines and Calormenes as they might have seen themselves in relation to their world. Were the Narnians the benevolent rulers of Lewis' work, or theologically driven imperialists? How might the legally-bound Archenlander Kings have looked on their more absolutist neighbours to north and south, and how might the Telmarines have seen the almost demonic-seeming creatures that suddenly issued from the forests of what had been their home for generations? You decide, in a world where the lion roars loud but the answers to how best to live and rule may prove more complex than might have been imagined. New factions added to the mod for balance purposes are also fitted into this schema, presenting further alternative mindsets - the ancestor worship and popular ambition of the Inkosi of Surval, or the divinely ordained democracy of the river-valleys of Munesh - that bring new views on this most magical and complex of worlds.

Of course, alongside that there's the real magical wonderment of Narnia that all these peoples and their beliefs live alongside and share. Whether you rally the bold Knights of Telmar, proud dwarfs from the hills, or noble centaurs to your cause, a detailed campaign map that runs from mountain to sea and beyond will provide hours of immersive gameplay in the Narnian world. Welcome to the world through the wardrobe - Narnia awaits!

Feature List
  • All factions have full unique unit rosters with over 40 new units since v0.8: new units include dryads, naiads, fauns, talking mice, Telmarine inner circle knights and the first swords, Ogres, White Wolves, and even the mysterious earth-men of Bism!
  • Over forty mod-specific traits & ancillaries give the campaign mode special Narnian features: Narnia TW ancillaries include Trufflehunter the Badger, the Bulgy Bear, a Child of Ramandu, Dufflepuds, Werewolves, Telmarine Scheming Ministers and Calormene Priests of Tash!
  • Marauders, Harfang, Dwarfs, Narnians, Archenlanders, Terebinthians, Lone Islanders, Calormenes, Telmarine Narnians, Old Telmarines, and the new factions of Koraly, Munesh, Surval and Erina are all available to play
  • Deep lore for both old & new factions gives a feel close to the books whilst adding whole new cultures to explore
  • New loading screens
  • New buildings available with full UI, including sorcerous groves, monster pens, and the dancing glades of Narnia
  • Fine detailed campaign map covering the entire Narnian world, with carefully balanced campaign features.
  • Range of rebel factions and opponents in campaign, including unique local rebel units in some areas
  • Plot quest features allow you to uncover items and re-enact plot points from the books
  • Overhauled interface giving a full Narnian theme and feel
  • New faction icons, banners, and game background

Info & Articles

For more info on the mod and its features, please see the following links for useful articles, release notes, reviews, and more:

Major articles & guides:

ModDB Release Article
Developers' User Guide (Details of Plot Quests etc are in here)
Screenshot Thread (For lots of pictures of the mod in action)
Kotaku writeup (Actual press coverage!)

Developer's notes:

Dev Notes: Surval
Dev Notes: Terebinthia

Downloads & Installation

For install instructions, please see the general installation guide here. Please ask installation queries either in there or lower down in this thread.

Please report all bugs here.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:49:11 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

MoarBarmu

• View Profile
    • Awards
Is Narnia TW compatible with Total War Rome Remastered?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 10:50:08 PM »
Is Narnia TW comptaible with Total War Rome Remastered and if not, how do I download the old Rome Total War legally?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: NARNIA TW 1.0 RELEASE THREAD
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 11:36:53 PM »
It isn't compatible with Rome Remastered... have they removed the ability to buy RTW Gold/Collection editions on Steam? That's really sad and disappointing if so :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

MoarBarmu

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 02:22:48 AM »
It sure looks like it. I don't know what to do. I have an old Rome Total War cd but it might not be gold and i would need to find someway to connect a driver to my computer externally.

MoarBarmu

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 02:43:40 AM »
I could try on it on my phone I think but there is no way on a PC that I can see.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »
You certainly used to be able to activate the CD keys from physical RTW disks on Steam, I don't know if that's still possible?