Author Topic: A Microfiction Thread  (Read 4271 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Microfiction Thread
« on: September 11, 2022, 01:27:04 PM »
One of the things I sometimes find actually fun about Twitter/Mastodon etc is the presence of microfiction - that is, vignette-tales a few sentences long, which of course thus matches the format. There are a few people who do this super regularly, and some (like me on occasion) who dabble a little, but anyway, here's a thread for posting microfictions you've written or ones by others you've really enjoyed.

My most recent, posted on Mastodon, was a riff on the Two Wolves Inside You meme/format -

There are two wolves inside you.

Also two pandas. And two lions. And two rockhopper penguins, and two sunda pangolins.

Also, two rather unhappy moles who wish to know where all the soil went.

You are Noah's Ark, and you are uncertain how you know this, or when you gained the capacity for thought or introspection.

There is only sea, all around; the rain has not yet stopped.

There are two wolves inside you, and you were built to keep them safe until the dawn.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Microfiction Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 10:44:19 AM »
A toot that became an accidental microfiction prompt, and the reply :)

If your email starts off by telling me where you're "reaching out from", I can almost guarantee you I don't want to read your email.

Hi CiarĂ n, Reaching out to you here from the depths of the interstellar void! We think we have a fantastic opportunity to collaborate on

o silent gods it is so empty

we have forgotten what home once meant

to us

the impossible emptiness that mankind was never supposed to know, that envelops and consumes and yet consumes nothing

in space, there is nothing to rot a body

we reach out, tentative fingers brushing at

memories

of a lost world

Hope this reaches you well, and have a great week! Looking forward to checking in and seeing if we can really synergise our approaches!

Have a great day,

[END OF TRANSMISSION]
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Microfiction Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 12:10:17 PM »
A recent toot-fic from me:

"It's a remarkable thing, your grace, but the researchers do seem to have created something that allows it. Travelling through time, I mean."

"We hadn't thought it possible. They've actually built a proof of concept?"

"Yes, a hyper-toroidal space folding in three other dimensions: it moves everything within through time at a consistent rate."

"Ha! And what does one even call such a device?"

"I think... I think they call it a 'universe', your grace."