Art, Writing, and Learning: The Clerisy Quarter > Writing, Poems, AARs, and Stories - The Storyteller's Hall

Jubal's Writing Blog

(1/3) > >>

Jubal:
In which I write about writing. There's no way I'm actually going to keep this up, but hey, it's a way to occasionally update people on progress.

I'm writing a book! It's currently 16000 words or so long, aiming for 50-60 thousand according to my plan, cut into about fifteen chapters. It's basically a quirky children's fantasy book with the chapters forming fairly independent stories to make it good for e.g. bedtime story reading. The first three chapters are now complete, along with chunks of a bunch of later chapters - I'm currently rather stalled trying to work out a plot for Ch. 4 though.

Jubal:
Trying to simultaneously work on bits of 5, 6, and 7, all of which have worked out plots but need a lot of fleshing out. heading for 22,000 words now, so almost certainly over a third of the way through the book, though halfway still feels some distance off!

5 is a simple friends-y sort of story, which is about cheering up one of the characters who is sad - those sorts of tales are important for this kind of book, I think, as I need a fair number of "toned down" chapters and to hold down the threat level in the "adventure" chapters to keep the tone right. Doing a Tolkien and suddenly flipping writing styles into full epic is something I'm fairly sure I'll be fine at avoiding, but I do see where the temptation to do that comes from so I think it's an instinct I ought to think about keeping in check...

comrade_general:
I can see it now;

"What's wrong, Henry?" Larry asked.
Henry simple looked down at the floor. His face grew pale and his eyes filled with tears. His delicious hot dog, which moments before had been resting comfortably on the edge of the countertop, now lay at his feet. Blobs of mustard found their way onto everything within a meter radius. Henry could only cover his face and walk away.
Carrying himself to the door Henry opened it to see portugalING T-REX'S FLYING F16'S OVERHEAD! THEY WERE LAUNCHING A FULL SCALE ATTACK ON THE LLAMA/BOVINE CENTRAL COMMAND NEXT DOOR, WHICH WERE THEMSELVES FIRING WILDLY INTO THE AIR WITH AK-47'S AND RPG'S.

Jubal:
I now want to write the llama war book, but alas I should probably finish this one first.

I reached 24000 words today, which is a bit depressing to have only done 2k in the last month. Word 24,000 was "the" which feels a little anticlimactic. But oh well, plenty to be getting on with!

Jubal:
Today I reached forty thousand words :) Reasonably determined that at some point this book will be finished!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version