Author Topic: The Samurai Skinpack  (Read 5342 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Samurai Skinpack
« on: October 28, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
The Samurai Skinpack

Son of a Witch already has a bushido, so it stands to reason that this world has samurai in it as well, and who better to take on Son of a Witch's main quest? As such, here's a new variant skin for the knight. He comes complete with typical samurai style armour of the middle ages (so using a more scale-mail style), and a helmet with traditional frontpiece-decorations. All ready to bring a deadly reckoning to his enemies!

Scroll to the bottom for install instructions.

Screenshots

A good samurai must be skilled with the bow as well as the sword.

The swipe of a true warrior's sword will put great fear into the hearts of his enemies.

Install Instructions

1. Navigate to: Steam/steamapps/common/Son of A Witch/Witch.app/contents/resources/gfx/knight
2. MAKE A COPY of the "knight.png" file (call it something like knight_blue)
3. Paste the knight-samurai.png contained in the zip file (attached to this post, below) into the folder, and rename it to "knight.png".
4. If you want to switch back to the normal blue knight, just switch the filenames back round.

As with all modpacks this is an unofficial project, released for free and downloaded/used entirely at the user's own risk.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: The Samurai Skinpack
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »
Actually, I plan to add a far-east themed campaign at some point in the future with ninjas, samurai, kung-fu master, etc. and alternative storyline where a distant relative comes from a far land to ask for your help. I plan to add some more twists like new set of mounts (deer, baby elephant, horse) and perhaps some unlockable hero(es) when you complete (or during) the quest. I already have some graphics prepared for it, but it's surely many months away from happening. (Currently focused on EU release for Switch and then probably trying to get the online multiplayer working on Switch as well).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
Oooh! Sorry if I jumped the gun on this one then :) But that definitely sounds great.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »
Apparently some players love these skins you made:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
That's really cool, I'm very glad someone found them :) I dropped a comment on one of the videos as well.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
That's really cool, I'm very glad someone found them :) I dropped a comment on one of the videos as well.

Makes me wonder how many players really know about this. I'm mean, I posted links on Steam, but only the players who are really into the game would go and browse. Perhaps I should add them all directly into the game on character selection screen? Or even make them unlock with some achievements?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
It's very few. According to Exilian's software (which may be estimating wrong but should be reliable in theory), the most downloads any of these skinpacks has is like... three?

You're welcome to do what you like re adding them ingame - it might be fun to make them unlockable. I wonder if you'd end up with too many to scroll through if they were all added, though, and a bunch of them just aren't as good quality as the originals. The elf ones and the pirate and samurai I guess stand up pretty well; the LOTR/DW ones I guess should be avoided officially for intellectual property reasons. I dunno if linking more to the Skinpack List thread & Guide from elsewhere (the SoaW website maybe) would help more people find those?

If you were going to add a few I'd go with something like:
Elf Archer -> Unlock by finishing a game with 20/20 on elven shield? Or some archery related thing, not sure on this.
Samurai -> Unlock by beating a whole party of 6 bushidos
Pirate -> Kill a boss with a cutlass?