Author Topic: New Volunteers Needed!  (Read 6289 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New Volunteers Needed!
« on: May 27, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
We're looking for a number of additional volunteers to join the Exilian team! Our small core team, currently comprising five members (Chair/Exec, Treasurer, Tech officer, Social Media Officer, and Senior Moderator) is urgently in need of additional support to keep Exilian running.

All of the available roles will come with the best support we can give: we're happy to train people in their roles, and have a strong ethos of supporting our volunteer officers and ensuring help is at hand. For all roles, there will be volunteers around with experience in the role who can help with any problems or queries. If you have any questions about any of the posts and what they entail, please leave a comment below.

The roles are as follows, with the information on how to apply in the post below.

Content Editor

Key roles
The Content Editor will be responsible for two significant areas: the Exilian Articles section, and the monthly newsletter Updates from the Forge. This is a wide role that involves commissioning and editing/formatting articles, as well as keeping an eye on news from across Exilian's activities. This role is subject to regular ratification votes by the voting members. A formal title choice of "despot" or "heteriarch" may be made by the successful applicant.

Important powers/functions
- Editorial control of Exilian's main front-end "voice" via our newsletters
- Commissioning & engaging with article writers
- Representing the needs of the content section in staff meetings

Regular tasks
- Editing & helping write "Updates from the Forge", our monthly newsletter, and getting it released on schedule
- Finding news items from across Exilian's activities that can go into the newsletter
- Finding volunteers to write fortnightly articles for the articles section
- Editing and formatting the articles and posting them on time

Membership Development Officer/Forum Admin

Key roles
The Membership Development officer is a more classical "forum admin" role. The holder of this post will be there to engage with and support creative project managers across the site. This role is subject to regular ratification votes by the voting members. A formal title choice of "despot" or "heteriarch" may be made by the successful applicant.

Important powers/functions
- Works with Exilian's creators and users to support their use of our website and other systems
- Wide-ranging remit to improve forum structures & functionality to help users
- Feeds back to other staff on how regular members & creative team leads are finding the website
- Responsible for keeping & updating our email list and getting monthly emails out to members

Regular tasks
- Greet new members, discuss projects with game developers and writers and be willing to engage with their work
- Get project developers settled into the site, creating new subforums for them where necessary
- Let developers and new members know about Exilian's democratic features/system and help enable them to take part
- Running creative competitions and/or game jams for the site
- Putting a brief email out once a month with links to our recent newsletter and announcements of other important upcoming events or similar
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:50:48 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Volunteers Needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
How do I apply and what is the process?

Just post a reply below this post with any details you want about yourself. Applications in this thread are open on a rolling basis: after a round of posting advertisements, we usually leave it 1-2 weeks for applications, to allow multiple people to apply for the same role, so it may be a little while between you posting and your application being processed. You are not required to state any particular details as part of this; you could mention particular experiences or skills if you have them, but enthusiasm is probably the most important thing. This thread is the only application place & process: we are not accepting applications made by any other avenue. If you wish to, you're encouraged to make a thread in this subforum in which voting members can ask you questions.

If there are multiple applicants, the site's voting members (known as citizens) will elect one of them to the position; if there is only one, the citizens will be asked to ratify them in the position. If there are no applicants in two weeks' time, the role remains open until someone does apply and that application is then forwarded to the citizens.

Other FAQs

...can you explain what Exilian is?

Exilian is a nonprofit, volunteer collective that supports geeky creative projects. We've existed for over 10 years, and among other things along the way, we've run three small conventions, provided forums for classic game modification titles such as Warhammer: Total War and Mount & Blade Southern Realms, supported projects including the dieselpunk tabletop RPG Frozen Skies, the indie beat 'em up/roguelike Son of a Witch, and the ant-based strategy game Empires of the Undergrowth, and also hosted a wide range of other competitions, discussions, writing, artwork, and more. We quite like llamas, or possibly guanacos. There's a minor debate about that one. Anyway - if we're going to keep doing all this awesome stuff we need people to help us keep the infrastructure behind it running.

Who will I work with?

In any of these roles, you'll work with various other Exilian staff - in particular the executive officer & head of staff (currently both being done by Jubal, a digital humanities doctoral student based in Austria who may or may not be a pangolin). On a day to day basis you're essentially your own boss, though you should maintain a line of communication with the head of staff; ultimately all staff answer to the citizens (voting members) of Exilian, which includes providing them with brief updates on the current state of the site's infrastructure on a twice-yearly basis, and occasional ratification votes to signal that members are happy for staff members to remain in post.

I don't think I have the skills for this job but I have time and would be willing to learn
Then you're very welcome to apply. Our current staff members have all the relevant skills and are happy to provide any training and mentoring needed. We do our best to take looking after our staff seriously, and we want new staff to get as much out of the role as possible - if that means we provide help teaching new skills, then great!

I have a question not covered here

Comment below, PM me, or email exilian (at ) exilian (dot) co (dot) uk - we're very happy to answer any queries :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:00:32 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

La Ciguapa

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »

Hello all,

My name is Nicole Wagg and I would like to apply for the position of Social Media Officer. Just a few things about myself to start: I am originally from New York but a year and a half ago I moved to England to live with my husband. I work for the National Trust part-time and I love drinking coffee and taking naps. I have been playing video games for as long as I remember. Some people sit on their parent's lap while they learn how to drive, I sat on my dad's lap while he played Resident Evil on the computer. I was 5 and got the very important job of pressing the spacebar. Now I mostly play RPGs, my absolute favourite being Mass Effect. To sum myself up I would tell this short story of my mom seeing me on the floor of the computer room, putting my Barbie on top of my dad's replica of the Starship Enterprise, flying through space singing Disney songs. Growing up I always tried to marry my very girly side with my super nerdy side. I also love watching movies at midnight showings and binge-watching television shows but more than anything I love sharing theories and debating. I play Dungeons and Dragons with our friends, and when I say play I mean we spend months trying to figure out a date we can all make to play. When the stars align and the moon is blue we will manage to find a date we can all do.

As far as my experience is concerned, I have personal accounts on most social media platforms, however, the reason I would like this position is to get more experience in running social media on a larger scale. I help our property at the National Trust by creating some content, taking photographs mostly, but I also help my husband with his Warhammer 40K Instagram account. I have a personal Tumblr, but I would really like to help run a more targeted blog and I believe there is potential for growth in that area. Other than that, I am really friendly, have great customer service skills from my time at Nordstrom and the National Trust and I am also bilingual. I am a fast learner and am willing to take on any task that needs to be done.

What's really important to me is that I work or volunteer for companies or communities that share my values of inclusion, diversity and empathy. I want to make sure my time here is done doing what I love and if at all possible helping people. I get to do that with the National Trust and I want to make sure I also continue that when I volunteer. That being said, when I saw the ad for this position I thought it couldn't have been more perfect. From what I've seen this is a welcoming, friendly and open community which can be so hard to find sometimes. I think I'm the right person to help you too. I hope you will consider me for this position and I look forward to hearing from you.

I'm happy to answer any questions if there's something I haven't covered. Thank you for your consideration.

Nicole  :arwen:
I don't need luck. I have ammo -Grunt

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:15:10 PM »
Welcome, and thankyou for applying :)

(Also, if you want to make a more general introduction post for yourself outside the application and say hello to people, the welcome hall is a good place for such things: https://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=2.0)

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi Nicole!

I'm guessing, if successful, we'll work quite closely together - I'm currently heading up the tech side of things, and I also know some stuff about social media, so drop me a line if you have any questions!
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:27 PM »
I've pinned this, updated the top post with the roles we're currently looking for, and reposted the Content Officer ad on do-it.org (https://do-it.org/opportunities/359e2ad3-4e8b-4050-901f-91fa90fe635d)

If anyone feels like sharing the link, please do :)

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
Can I be the Malcontent Officer?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
I mean, I can add it to your user title if you want, sure :P