Author Topic: Text colours  (Read 3908 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Text colours
« on: February 03, 2020, 05:23:16 PM »
So, for me, some of the standard text colours in the BBCode are really hard to read with our standard dark theme (and I don't think many people use the Exilian Light theme, though I should probably try and work on making that more accessible at some point).

For the record, here are the standard colours:
black
red
yellow
pink
green
orange
purple
blue
beige
brown
teal
navy
maroon
lime green
white

I'm wondering if it would be worth lightening the blue, purple, red, and possibly also brown to make them more readable and thus useable? I don't know how easy that is, but presumably there's a BBCode definitions file somewhere that one can tweak. What do people think?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Text colours
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
I'm not sure whether this is technically possible - a quick dig through the Admin menus hasn't turned up any obvious options, so at best this is likely to require editing the theme CSS files directly. Also, it looks as if these colour names are defined as specific RGB codes in the HTML standard(s) - see Wikipedia and W3Schools - so we might not be able to change them at all.

Further, if we brighten the colours to make them contrast more with the dark theme background, then they will contrast less with the light theme background. Though if the CSS is theme-specific then this won't be a problem.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Text colours
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 02:42:48 PM »
The BBCode interpretation schema, wherever that is, should definitely allow the "blue" menu option to print e.g. "#5599FF" instead of "blue", when "blue" is selected from the dropdown. But yes, it would be an actual software mod not something that could be done via the cpanel.

Point noted about the light theme, but a) I think only about one account is logged as using that and b) I think we could make them a bit lighter without making that unreadable in any way. It would require testing in both setups.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...