Author Topic: UK politics 2019  (Read 943 times)

comrade_general

• Eternal Despot of RTW
  • 100% Prime Angus Beef
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Exilian
    • Awards
Re: UK politics 2019
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
If only people would work together instead of spending their energy pushing against the people they don't like. :(
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 05:33:43 PM »
To work together you do have to be able to agree on what you're working towards, is the issue. Fundamentally, I don't agree with the more Conservative wing of UK politics about what the world should look like, what's valuable in it and what we should have more of, which makes it next to impossible for us to work together as we don't have a shared collective vision of what we're working on. Where you can find shared goals, of course, I agree that working together is great and especially in the US and UK political systems more of it needs to happen.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Well, for now a lot of people in different parties can agree that they don't want to drop out of the EU without trade and travel arrangements in place and that they don't want to give Boris Johnson any chance to do this, and that is a good thing isn't it?  Right now parliament does not have much time to address normal issues.

Because the leaders of the Labour and Conservative parties are both in favour of leaving the EU, so organizing to stop this will require like-minded people in different parties to organize themselves.  And right now, leaving without a deal is the default outcome- it happens unless a majority of parliament votes to do something else (and for some outcomes, the EU has to agree).

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 09:12:59 PM »
At least Halloween could be genuinely scary this year

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
Less likely now parliament has legislated for yet another kicking of the can, but we'll see.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
The situation is bad enough that I would not make any jokes about it from outside the UK.  Like I said on mastodon, I hope that my friends in the UK have money and storage for several months' emergency supplies, and a plan for what to do if serious violence breaks out in their community.  I don't have anything light to say about a situation where one constitutional court says proroguing parliament was unconstitutional, another with another legal tradition says that it was, the Prime Minister's Office is threatening to ignore laws and court rulings and there are barely enough police and soldiers to stop ordinary mayhem: its like a H. Beam Piper vignette.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 12:36:11 AM »
portugals sake, literally nothing will happen overall. People affected include: EU farmers, UK citizens living in the EU currently, UK folks with a vested interest in the EU making money. However:

Middlesbrough council house families, less competition for jobs, less modern slavery.

Northampton council house families, less competition for jobs, less modern slavery, fewer illegal firearms (portugal anyone disputing this, I've lived it and recently. Who has the guns here? Polish gangs, portugal the portugal off if y'all are like 'nah man, EU brings so many nurses to northants' yeah pull the other one ya dickhead who ends up in hospital, yeah, gangsters).

Asian and African farmers: Holy armadillo the CAP is gone for the UK, maybe I can them sell armadillo for a decent price and not get blocked by EU dickheadery.

portugal your conglomerate, portugal your confederation and portugal your European one state policy.

UK service industry: Well armadillo, now I can sell this to everyone and change prices to compete with different markets...

UK trade industry: Well... armadillo. Guess I'll have to move this to another market, yikes, china and india are difficult sells ofc...

UK marketing industry: What's this brexit bollocks?

UK music industry: Wha's dis Braxit ballicks?

56% Uk export market: wuts dat breakfast bolox?

Corruption in EU: Uk at 20% better on average than other EU countries.
All the growth is in EU... Oh wait... No, 90% of it it isn't.

The EU is just armadillo, economically, it's armadillo. It's stable, but armadillo, growth is armadillo, economic policy is armadillo. Politically, it's ridiculous, even more ridiculous than the nonsense that's going on in UK politics. Why the ever living portugal do we have most politicians still campaigning for remaining when most people voted for leaving the EU? Who feels this is a good example of parliamentary democracy? Anyone who feels like a referendum isn't actionable democracy.

And to be fair, even though I voted leave, I don't give a flying portugal for anyone's notion of nationalism, sovereignty, who's being 'let in' the country (portugal off, if you tried half as hard to get in to Sweden, you'd see what I mean), it's goddamn difficult to get into a country legally which is better than your own, Uk economy (portugal right off again, floating currency combined with music industry, film industry, english language as soft currency and tourism, it literally doesn't matter), 'English exceptionalism' if that even exists or whatever the portugal nonsense.

It's literally no issue. Get on with whatever you're doing, Brexit might not even happen. It doesn't matter either way, nothing will change.

Much love,
Rob
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
I disagree with just about all of that, but you know I do so there's no point us relitigating it :)

Meanwhile, in more amusing takes on the news, after the government's "Operation Yellowhammer" planning documents got released...
Yellowhammer wondering what it’s done wrong

One of Britain’s most popular songbirds is wondering why everyone suddenly hates it this morning.

The bird – which is known for its vibrant colours of bright yellow and streaky brown, similar to Nigel Farage’s underpants – was until yesterday best known for cheerfully singing on the top of hedgerows before public opinion turned rapidly against it overnight.

Rest of article: https://newsthump.com/2019/09/12/yellowhammer-wondering-what-its-done-wrong/

And it's Lib Dem conference this weekend. Going to be my last one before taking a couple of years out from party activism to focus on my PhD and finishing other projects. Will be stressful but nice to see people, so I hope it goes well.

dubsartur

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 02:55:36 PM »
portugals sake, literally nothing will happen overall. People affected include: EU farmers, UK citizens living in the EU currently, UK folks with a vested interest in the EU making money.
And people in Ireland (only the Troubles were never just in Ireland were they?  back in the day people were mortaring cabinet meetings and planting bombs in English hotels) and Scotland (where the secessionists have an excuse for another referendum).

In my pocket I have a beautiful knife by a British cutler.  In the event of a no-deal Brexit and tariffs and customs delays being imposed, he loses his European customers to Czechs and Poles PDQ (I guess his YouTube income will remain steady ...)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
I'm really not worried Bout stockpiling emergency supplies or outbursts of mob violence (although I am somewhat concerned that failing to leave could cause a small increase in domestic terrorism). Not sure what to expect overall from all this, but I imagine that the current uncertainty is probably about as economicsally damaging as a no deal brexit would be tbh.