Author Topic: Canadian Politics 2020  (Read 272 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Canadian Politics 2020
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »
Yes, that's a very different expectation set - the only leadership campaign in my lifetime in a UK political party to have included a major membership rise was that of Corbyn for the Labour party, and that was very controversial - the expectation here is that member recruitment isn't even really the leader's priority, and that leadership elections are conducted between the pre-existing members of the party.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Canadian Politics 2020
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 09:14:38 PM »
On 26 March the CPC suspended the leadership context despite Peter MacKay pointing out the Canada held national elections while we were fighting the Krauts and Stornoway would be a great place to self-isolate.  They will reconsider the decision on 1 May.

The Liberal minority government tried to grant itself unlimited powers to tax and spend without parliamentary oversight until December 2021, after media protests the opposition parties admitted that that might not be a good idea.  One rogue Conservative MP attended the bare minimum quorum (with 2 metre social distancing ...) against the wishes of his whip to deny unanimous approval to the final bill.

I would say that Trudeau is handling this pretty well because he knows he doesn't know anything about epidemiology, and because for whatever reason this situation does not run into a contradiction in his ideology in the way that all the things he promised in 2015 ran head on into "but I don't want to bother anyone with power."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:36:56 PM by dubsartur »