Author Topic: Mr. Robot  (Read 3667 times)

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mr. Robot
« on: June 11, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »
So, I've nearly finished my 2nd watch of Mr. Robot. If you haven't seen this masterpiece of television i strongly recommend it, its easily one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Quick synopsis: Elliot Alderson (yes matrix reference) is a cyber-security engineer and hacker who has social anxiety and clinical depression. Elliot is recruited by an anarchist hacker group led by "Mr. Robot" to take down E corp, the largest conglomerate in the world.

Suffice to say its not that simple, lots of twists and other complicated characters cause the show the often delve into Elliot's mind as you are his "imaginary friend" he creates to deal with his loneliness. Personally the main draw for me is the cinematography which over the course of 4 seasons Sam Esmail crafts his own style of depiction for Elliott's anxiety through long isolated camera shots, where the characters are often only in one quarter of the screen.

Furthermore there are truly daring episodes of tv some examples,
  • A complete episode with no dialogue
  • An episode staged as a play in 1 location with Acts. (Probably my favourite episode of television ever made)
  • An episode set as a 90s Sitcom
  • An episode in 1 camera shot.
Don't take my word for it, the show doesn't drop below 8/10 on imdb for a single episode and the final season has 7 episodes ranked nearly 10/10.https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/mr-robot-ratings-54290/

The only issue i've had when getting other people to watch it is they say it is a bit slow and its the definition of "deliberately paced". Don't expect answers to questions or twists for almost the entire length of the show, but stick with it and its worth the wait.
It is the perfect show to watch knowing it gets better and better as it goes and actually ends on its peak with a satisfying conclusion (much needed after Game of Thrones)

Also Rami Malek's performance is insanely enjoyable and won him an emmy. Also the hacking is done realistically.

So if anyone has seen it I'd love to know what you think, and if anyone wants to discuss it i'll make a sub forum for spoilers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:43:08 AM by Gmd »
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mr. Robot
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 08:33:46 PM »
I think its cracking has the Violet Blue seal of approval.  I will add it to my list of TV to watch.  I am looking for good German and Austrian TV too.