Author Topic: The Game is ON  (Read 16484 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
The Game is ON
« on: August 05, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
I'm making a new game. It's features cool pixel graphics and wacky puzzles where you move stuff around until you discover a common phrase or idiom from English language.

Here's an example of a solved puzzle, so you can see how it works:

By solving the puzzles, you get jigsaw pieces. Collect enough pieces to unlock extra levels. You can also get jigsaw pieces by solving the puzzles in least possible moves and by finding pieces hidden in levels.

Some are hidden behind other objects or produced after you manipulate buttons or other things on the screen.

More details on the Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1386280/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 02:36:37 PM by bigosaur »

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Game is ON
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
I love the graphics!  They remind me of gaming in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 06:43:38 PM »
This looks neat! The mechanics remind me a little bit of Baba Is You, another excellent puzzle game.
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »
I look forward to playtesting! I do wonder if Boris looks a little too much like Borat?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 02:51:00 PM »
I look forward to playtesting!

A Steam key should be in your e-mail now.  :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »
OK, I'm one puzzle solution and one puzzle piece short:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall I think the idea has a lot of potential, there are a few puzzles I'd consider tweaking for one reason or another but overall I'm enjoying it, I really like this sort of wordplay gaming.

Some notes:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:29:29 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
Lost on the anagram/game show one, I guess that has so many pieces that unless you hit upon definitely the right idea then it's really hard to work it out. I'm trying to think of idioms with one of the letters, or "spell", or "arrange" or "show" or "board"...

There are only 3 possible slots to put the letters in, so you should only search for a 3-letter word. Did you try to place them in the bottom row? Hm, maybe I should redesign that screen to make it clear that the solution should go to the top row.

there are a few puzzles I'd consider tweaking for one reason or another

Let me know which and how to change them, please.

but overall I'm enjoying it, I really like this sort of wordplay gaming.

Awesome!

Some notes:
is really hard for one that comes so early on in the game

I think I will re-arrange the levels so that it comes later.

It's usually phrased "plenty of fish in the sea", so I'd add more fish to that puzzle.

I'm not sure that would work. If there are already multiple fish in the sea, one could say that there were already plenty of fish in the sea before you started playing. Hm, maybe instead of a single fish, there would be a bucket full of them in the boat and you can dump them all in the sea.

I don't know how valuable the move counter and move count achievement system is? Like it makes me want to go and replay a puzzle to get the counter down and get the achievement, but for most of the puzzles, working out how to do it in very few moves once you know the solution is either trivial or dull (some exceptions - getting "all in the same boat" in one move is quite a fun one). Most of the time I felt it was the game just saying "OK now go back and do the solution again", which... eh, when I already know the solution feels a waste of time.

Yes. Initially I only wanted to have the extra "piece" on some levels where it's an extra challenge (like "all in the same boat") but it felt inconsistent. Maybe I should make every level a little bit more complicated (with more objects) and then replaying would make sense. Need to test that.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »
OK, finally got it.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:48:33 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 03:20:37 PM »
maybe she could actually give a useful hint for the puzzle?

Good idea. How about "Just do it!" or "It's time for you to do it" or "You should focus" ?

I will fix those. Thanks.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
OK, I'm one puzzle solution and one puzzle piece short

I'm curious. How long did it take you?

If not sure, check Steam playing time. I'm trying to estimate how many puzzles I would need for a 4-5 hour game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
Good idea. How about "Just do it!" or "It's time for you to do it" or "You should focus" ?
Yes, that's good! Maybe "Come on! Focus!" as "Get your act together!" is usually a pretty snappy/emphatic statement.

It took me about an hour to do the majority of the puzzles, and a while longer to re-do bits, find a couple of missing pieces, etc. So I think if you filled in the four panels on the main menu, that would be 4-5 hours fairly easily.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
It took me about an hour to do the majority of the puzzles, and a while longer to re-do bits, find a couple of missing pieces, etc. So I think if you filled in the four panels on the main menu, that would be 4-5 hours fairly easily.

Great!

I'll post some progress here when I make new levels.

Thanks for testing.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
I'm making some progress with game art this week:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y94fRVO

Plan is the have the playable beta with all levels in by December 1st.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 06:56:39 PM »
I look forward to playtesting! I do wonder if Boris looks a little too much like Borat?

Perhaps you are right. I have thought that people have mostly forgotten about Borat and similarity wasn't that important, but it looks like he released another movie now, so I don't want to risk anything here. I'm removing the Boris character and all the references from the game.

BTW, I'm nearing the final beta test version. 52 out of 60 puzzles are ready and I already have the graphics ready for puzzles 53-56, just need to cut out the pieces and program the game logic. My plan was to have to complete game ready before December 1st, but it might be sooner.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »
Mm, I agree that the new movie does mess the semi-reference up. That said, I think it's maybe sort of good for the game to have a core viewable character as a mascot/puzzle intro, so I'd maybe replace him with something rather than just cut out from having any central puzzle-introducing character at all?