Art, Writing, and Learning: The Clerisy Quarter > Arts, Crafts, Music & Drama - The Artisans' Guilds

Crafts in the Plague Year

(1/3) > >>

dubsartur:
There don't seem to be any threads right now on the hand work we are doing, lets start one.

I am working on a short round embroidered mantle.  These were fashionable in western Europe from the 14th century into the 17th.  The later ones usually open from neck to crotch and often have fake sleeves, the earlier ones are pullovers with hidden fastenings, ones for men tend to be a bit longer than ones for women.

Example from my period of interest.

Double checking that the red linen lining and the blue woolen cloth facing are the same size and shape.

Test fitting the collar.  The buttonholes are lined with silk dupioni.

Powdering the cape with stars.

Jubal:
That's lovely! Looking forward to seeing more :)

I never really got started on most of my physical craft ideas for lockdown - academic work has swamped me rather

dubsartur:

The collar is embroidered ...

And set into the cape, lined with more duppioni, and joined to the lining of the cape which is anchored to the neck opening.  HIC · SUNT · II · DRACONES!

Jubal:
Nice :) As I read this I'm wearing a poncho, which it strikes me has some similarities as a garment (in what it's practically like to wear, as opposed to its structure and manufacture etc).

dubsartur:
Yes, its interesting how different concepts reoccur in different cultures, from the basic 'blanket with a slit in the weave to put your head through' to a cut-and-sewed garment with its own hood.  There are versions of this idea in the 16th century where the back half is more than half a circle for extra ploofyness!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version