Author Topic: Ancient Egypt in Science Fiction  (Read 1919 times)

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ancient Egypt in Science Fiction
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:24:11 AM »
CFI Calgary has a zoom conference on Saturday 8 May 11.00 to 24.00 Toronto time https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cfic-conference-for-inquiry-celebrating-reason-tickets-150405519959

Talks on geeky and humanistic topics include:

Andy Thomson – Why We Believe in God(s)
Sandra Dunham – The Cost of Religion in Canada
Amir Artaban Sedaghat – East, West, Islam: a Perpetual Misapprehension?
Panel discussion: Losing Our Religion - Moderator: John Varghese; Panelists: Joshua Jeyakumar , Muhammod, Talla Odeh, Allison Jensen
Gus Lyn-Piluso & Joan Harrison – Education for Democracy
Michael Wong – Star Trek and Science (n.b. this Michael Wong is the astronomer with a podcast in the United States, not the engineer with a website in Ontario)
Panel discussion: Freedom of Speech: A Cost Benefit Analysis - Moderator: Kayla Horan-Dmytruk; Panelists: Scott Fraser, Mark Urista, Cara Zwibel
Sean Manning – Ancient Astronauts Built the Science Fiction of Egypt direct link to the videoconference
Zack Dumont – Surviving Misinformation in a Global Pandemic

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ancient Egypt in Science Fiction
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
Good luck for the talk! I think I am too wiped out to get there, bad election results and too many zoom calls have turned me into some sort of light and sound fearing goblin for the day. Will there be any recordings?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 07:09:27 PM »
They say they will be recording and posting on YouTube.  I may create a PeerTube account for this!

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:29:30 AM »
Got turned down for a job in the Netherlands on Friday.

I got to watch about half of the conference on Saturday, but my Zoom connection dropped half way through my talk.  I did not know because I was in my full-screen slide window not my browser window so I could not see the warning that the conference had ended.  So I had to miss the next talk and redo half of my talk :(

Mike Wong the astronomer slyly evaded my question about which Mike Wong was from the mirror universe.  That would suggest he is the Terran Empire Wong, but then the Star Wars Wong is a fan of the Sith.  Coincidence or evidence that Mike Wong the engineer is from the Terran Empire while the astronomer is from the United Federation of Planets?  I ask, you decide.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:34:47 PM by dubsartur »