Author Topic: Portfolios etc  (Read 5116 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Portfolios etc
« on: December 08, 2022, 10:37:03 PM »
I've been wondering whether I should make some sort of central portfolio website. Like half of it would end up being links to Exilian threads, but it has occurred to me that really there's nowhere where I drag together lists of all my talks, videos, songs, publications, articles, etc, and maybe I should do given the amount of content I produce? I don't know if anyone would actually find such a thing useful though.

What do other folks think/what would you use for such a thing?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Portfolios etc
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 02:07:16 AM »
I think that having a homepage with a backup on a hard drive you control is always a good idea (unless you are on the run from the law or something, if MI6 is hunting you then save your music for the street crowds in Phnom Penh)!

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 05:51:39 PM »
It seems like a good idea, even if it's just for your own reference. Something similar for your academic work would probably be good too, and you could perhaps hang the non-academic stuff off that.

What would I use for this? A friendly host with a web server, and a bunch of hand-written HTML. But I appreciate that's a fairly unusual approach these days. I guess something low-effort that looks reasonably smart - Wordpress might be a possibility, though I think you'd want a small number of static pages that you can update from time to time, rather than blog posts. I'm not sure what else is out there.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »
Yes, I might well use Wordpress on the tech level. You can keep static pages on WordPress as well as blogposts (indeed, that's probably how the CTS site would be working today if someone hadn't dropped a somewhat overengineered Drupal setup on my head, and it's how I built the Cambridge DW soc website back in the day).

I also feel like if MI6 are trying to track me down and have not yet done so, it says something really quite worrying about the state of British intelligence services.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 08:43:06 PM »
But if you were on the run for a crime, you would presumably not be posting your art and videos here (unless you were John McAfee after years of heavy drug use).

It seems like a good idea, even if it's just for your own reference. Something similar for your academic work would probably be good too, and you could perhaps hang the non-academic stuff off that.

What would I use for this? A friendly host with a web server, and a bunch of hand-written HTML. But I appreciate that's a fairly unusual approach these days. I guess something low-effort that looks reasonably smart - Wordpress might be a possibility, though I think you'd want a small number of static pages that you can update from time to time, rather than blog posts. I'm not sure what else is out there.
You can see how I make my static site here

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 03:34:12 PM »
I mean, I'm not sure anyone has ever seen John McAfee using drugs and myself in the same room at the same time ;)

But anyway, it sounds like this is something I should probably do. Will have a think about how.