Author Topic: UK politics: Post-Brexit edition  (Read 6156 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UK politics: Post-Brexit edition
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »
What are the main cultural influences on British police now that they don't hire as many aging ex-servicemembers?
That's a good question, and I'm not sure it's one I could answer perfectly. Like in most places the police tend to lean politically authoritarian, though not universally and they've not got quite the same militaristic lean for the most part as I've seen in US police.

Anyhow, the key UK news is sadly that an MP, Sir David Amess, has been murdered in what appears to be an Islamic extremist terrorist attack. Definitely everyone I know in politics is feeling quite rattled right now, and there's discussions over whether this will lead to more spending on protection for MPs or less access to MPs for the public.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UK politics: Post-Brexit edition
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2021, 06:22:21 AM »
I also saw something about the London Metropolitan Police creating an app to call in to verify that plainclothes officers are police officers which, again, would not have helped the murdered woman just made it quicker to track down her killer.

In the US, the War on Some People using Some Drugs was a big driver of police militarization (dealers start flushing the goods down the toilet, so police start dawn raids with battering rams and get surprised when robbers use the same tactic or a frightened homeowner stabs them; gangs settle their business disputes with Glocks, so the police demand heavier weapons and get offended that someone thinks firing 50 rounds at a traffic stop was excessive).  The UK has many fewer firearms in circulation, and its not quite as invested in the War on Some People as the USA is, so how does that affect things?

In the Can pol thread you brought up redistricting.  Are there debates in the UK about rural areas being over-represented by population but being further from the centres of power to use their representation like there are in Canada?