Off-topic and Chatter: The Jolly Boar Inn > General Gaming - The Arcade

Going Witchering

<< < (3/3)

Gmd:
Shani romance option is needed for sure!!

Jubal:

New Witcher games are coming!

Article: https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/21/22989313/cd-projekt-red-new-witcher-game-unreal-engine-5-announcement

Honestly I think this is something of a risk given how well recieved the main trilogy were, but it does make sense given how well the Netflix series did. People at CDPR are stressing that this isn't necessarily "The Witcher 4", and despite additional collaboration with Epic Games they're not plannign to limit it to the Epic Games Store (Twitter link). And that seems to be about all we know right now...

Gmd:
Yeah seems like its own standalone thing set in the witcher universe. My guess is pre/post-geralt times with very few characters from the trilogy returning. But i cant think of any lore events outside the geralt northern wars which it could possibly be from the history.
Either that or they just go full on Ciri sequel 20 years later or something.

Also apparently thats a lynx in the photo so its not witcher school ever mentioned before.... which is very interesting

Jubal:
I think after TW3 may be the most likely. Unmentioned witcher school suggests new witcher school, unless they have a really good retrofit to explain why nobody ever mentions them in the main witcher series or the book. Which suggests either a) someone has started making witchers again, or b) that these are a combination of failing schools, or c) that these are "witchers" in job but not necessarily in typical powers, and any of those three might make for a good core initial plot hook.

I watched a YT video where someone pointed out that the trouble with a Ciri sequel is that you risk cheapening the ends of TW3 where she doesn't become a Witcher, though you could have a forked game beginning/background where one is Ciri the witcher, one is Ciri being deposed by a plot as Empress, and one is Ciri having actually survived defeating the Frost but stripped of her powers, stuck, and having to regain them as a way of retrofitting the bad ending. But even that does kind of cheapen the bad ending.

I guess TW3 gives some trouble with any Witcher game set in the north in that you kinda have to severely change the political outlook of the region depending on whether it was a Redanian or Nilfgaardian victory, or you need to re-merge the paths (which, again, can feel cheap). I guess Kovir and Poviss are IIRC still independent regardless of the outcome, and moving the whole thing east of the Blue Mountains wouldn't be impossible either. I kind of hope the snow is less of a hint than it looks, because I liked Blood & Wine so much that I'd sort of like to see more of places like Ophir, Zerrikania, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version