Off-topic and Chatter: The Jolly Boar Inn > General Gaming - The Arcade

Fallen London

(1/2) > >>

Jubal:
Anyone else play? I know Spritelady does.

For those who don't know, Fallen London is a browser-based game which is at https://www.fallenlondon.com/ - you can play for free, there will be various options and storylines locked with Fate, a purchasable currency, but it's fun enough and there's tons of content without that. Essentially, it's set in Gothic-silly-fantasy London and you play through a lot of written storylines selecting and clicking options. There are a ton of different items, including lots of non-physical items like "a memory of distant shores" or "a whispered hint" or "a touching love story" all of which can be bought, sold, and traded just like anything else. Devils, fungi, men with the faces of squid, they're all there: it's mostly just enjoyably silly, though the action economy sometimes makes the game a bit slow.

You can also add other players as acquaintances via your lodgings: I am JubalBarca as in most places, should anyone wish to do so. :)

psyanojim:
Yep, its amusing so far. I'm trying to be shadowy which seems to involve chasing cats around to train myself. ;D

Jubal:
Yes, the cat chasing is very good fun :)

I basically tend to like FL in so far as it does that sort of quirky stuff, I love the stories with the urchins and rubbery men and bohemians and the fun Victorian murder mysteries and things, whereas I enjoy it less when it gets into the "cosmic horror and constant nightmares" end of what it does, but I think that's just my natural genre preferences anyway: when I'm playing games I almost always want to feel I have a sense of agency and an ability for my character to work out what's going on - false choices or intentionally obscured choices tend to grate on me in most games. I feel like that's where my few frustrations with it tend to come from: there's definitely bits of the game that pitch you quite unexpectedly into more of a true horror environment where that sort of unclear choice mechanic and the resulting unsettling reduction in agency is much more the point.

Lately my character has been training as a duellist, in order to hunt down whoever killed his brother (I picked the Nemesis ambition line, so working on that). I've also been doing some bits of the Feast of the Rose, though some part of that started pitching me into the early content of a particularly infamous storyline which I didn't actually want to do at all and which has taken days of gameplay and numerous points of menaces to clear to get myself freed of again, so that has been a bit annoying. I've been enjoying the University content anyhow.

Spritelady:
I'm currently working on seducing the Barbed Wit at the Empress' Court. This mostly involves raising my 'Fascinating' score by wearing daring fashion around the court. It's a little grind-y but the Barbed Wit interactions are quite fun.

I've become fairly good at persuasive as a result, and have sold many scraps of silk and bought myself some new lodgings and a nice new dress.

Jubal:
I continue to play - I've been working through the Labyrinth of Tigers a bit, and sort of vaguely pursuing various storylines. I will soon complete A Person Of Some Importance, but I have a few things I want to try and do first. I've got to get 2000 drops of Prisoners' Honey for my Ambition which is a lot, I've got a ton more expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter to do in order to build up my archaeologist and complete the Firebrand and Missionary story, and I want to progress with A Name Signed With A Flourish which I thought I was about done with but have now discovered I need to spend a lot more time at court to progress with or something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version