Author Topic: Demo - "A Hero's Rest" - Fantasy RPG Town Management Sim  (Read 4334 times)

VanargandGames

• View Profile
    • Awards
Demo - "A Hero's Rest" - Fantasy RPG Town Management Sim
« on: September 24, 2022, 10:09:21 PM »

Hey, we are Vanargand Games, 2 new developers working on our first game "A Hero's Rest"
going into Early Access 12th of October on Steam and the Epic Game Store

You can play the Demo right now through Steam: tinyurl.com/AHerosRest

In a world abounding with monsters, His Majesty the King tasks you with warding off the threats that surround the land.
For this, you are given the role of the proprietor of a fantasy town where you will recruit Heroes, manage your resources and supply your shops with the wares that your Heroes need for their adventures.

A Hero's Rest will put your management skills to the test as you fight to grow your town's popularity while tending to your Heroes' needs & His Majesty's demands.

--Unleash your creativity and build your shops across multiple landscapes, from cosy little Taverns to huge Training Grounds, the choice is yours--
--Each shop brings a boon to your town, providing you with new ways to gather resources or interact with your Heroes' fates--
--Supply your shops with the necessary upgrades and decorations to push your town's popularity to new heights--

--Craft gear across 13 (and soon 16) different categories and thousands of customization options--
--Level up your crafting stations and provide higher quality gear for your Heroes--
--Display your crafted gear across your shop's various displays and watch your Heroes wear the equipment they purchased--

Heroes have a mind of their own and little regard for their safety. You'll need to make sure to send Heroes on quests that they can conquer or they will find their demise.

--Send the Heroes on quests to gather resources for you to overcome the dangers that threaten your town.--
--Watch them grow from inexperienced adventurers to powerful Heroes and create a personal attachment to those that stand out.--
--Use the tools provided to you by shops like the Innkeeper & the Apothecary to influence the fate of your Heroes and secure their safety.--

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Demo - "A Hero's Rest" - Fantasy RPG Town Management Sim
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:32:35 PM »
Welcome to Exilian!

This looks neat, I'll try and have a look at the demo sometime in the next few days and give some thoughts :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Demo - "A Hero's Rest" - Fantasy RPG Town Management Sim
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:56:39 PM »
Right, I played through the demo!

A few minor bugs - the item crafting quest completion didn't happen until after I'd exited the forge which was a bit confusing, the opening cinematic appeared to just stop at an end frame until I decided to try hitting esc rather than ending and going smoothly into gameplay. Only one typo that I caught, a "wereabouts" instead of "whereabouts", and one of the villager dialogues just reads "is very nicely decorated!" which feels like it's missing the first word of the sentence.

Other general issues:
  • I was really struggling for resources most of the time, it felt like what heroes brought in from quests was a lot less than what I was using up, so I was desperately searching for the map resource respawns pretty much constantly and kept losing heroes because I'd run out of resources.
  • I had heroes leave because of "lack of upgrades" several times, but I couldn't tell what upgrades they actually wanted - the class's only weapon was a greatsword, which they had, and I couldn't seem to add anything else to their existing swords, so I was quite confused.
  • The game was telling me I should get resources from resource farms, but never really told me what counted as a resource farm, so I struggled on that one.
  • I suspect I should've tried to get more hero classes, but I wasn't really sure what the advantage of that was and there always seemed to be better resource uses for me.
  • I never saw anyone actually use the tavern's beds, does that happen?

Generally felt positive about it though: I really like the theme and atmosphere, it's nice and bouncy and reminds me a bit of Tourney, and once you get used to the interface it's generally very playable and has about the right number of moving parts without getting too overwhelming (took me a little time to realise I could make foods in batches which was an important time-saver). If I had one smaller feature request, I'd really like to have a tavern sign & the ability to actually name my tavern (unless that was in there and I missed it).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...