Art, Writing, and Learning: The Clerisy Quarter > Arts, Crafts, Music & Drama - The Artisans' Guilds

7 Myths Everyone Believes About Druids (2014)

(1/1)

dubsartur:
This blog post leans in to the True Neutral, battling-for-rank nature of Druids in 1e D&D and the possibility of Druids as major antagonists or villains rather than Radaghast figures.  Its take is one take!

https://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/7-myths-everyone-believes-about-druids.html
https://www.xenograg.com/1158/role-playing/jealous-hoarding-of-magic-spells

Jubal:
The sort of dark druid archetype is actually a pretty major point in the Baldur's Gate games, you can't go into a forest without tripping over a camp of them, and in BG2 there's definitely a section of competing druid ideologies becoming a side plot point, which I think is really interesting.

This reminds me I had a good Mastodon post on alternative biome druids from the Exilian account, which I meant to write into an article but never did. I should get back to that.

psyanojim:

--- Quote from: Jubal on April 16, 2023, 12:31:44 PM ---The sort of dark druid archetype is actually a pretty major point in the Baldur's Gate games, you can't go into a forest without tripping over a camp of them, and in BG2 there's definitely a section of competing druid ideologies becoming a side plot point, which I think is really interesting.

This reminds me I had a good Mastodon post on alternative biome druids from the Exilian account, which I meant to write into an article but never did. I should get back to that.

--- End quote ---
I've always been a big fan of the feral 'return the world to wilderness by destroying all civilizations' druid mentality ;D

Not really a 'light or dark' archetype, since they despise good and evil civilizations equally.

dubsartur:

--- Quote from: Jubal on April 16, 2023, 12:31:44 PM ---The sort of dark druid archetype is actually a pretty major point in the Baldur's Gate games, you can't go into a forest without tripping over a camp of them, and in BG2 there's definitely a section of competing druid ideologies becoming a side plot point, which I think is really interesting.

--- End quote ---
Humh, I played BG 2 and the expansion and I do not remember that!  It must have been almost 20 years ago which is a long time.

Pop culture druids do have tropes around human sacrifice and survival of that which should be forgotten.

Jubal:

--- Quote from: psyanojim on April 16, 2023, 05:17:29 PM ---I've always been a big fan of the feral 'return the world to wilderness by destroying all civilizations' druid mentality ;D

--- End quote ---
IIRC this was basically the faction I played the one time I did a full run of Wizard Warfare, it was very enjoyable :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version