Author Topic: Installing and creating mods  (Read 7486 times)

Sir Niocl

• View Profile
    • Awards
Installing and creating mods
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:13:21 AM »
Hello everyone, I really enjoy Mount&Blade and I'm amazed at how many mods there are for it. I've downloaded a few but I'm never able to install them, so could someone please explain that to me? I'm extremely technologically impaired so please explain it in the most simple terms possible. I was also wondering how to create mods. I like to think I'm a creative person and I have pages and pages of game ideas, most in a historical setting, and I've always wanted to make my own but as I said before, I can barely do anything with computers. Is it easy to make a mod? Thank you very much for any help.

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:03 AM »
Ok, we'll take this in two stages, first, installing mods:

Mount&Blade will probably be installed to your C:\ drive by default, so follow this path in Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer): C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\Modules

This is the modules folder. In there will be the Native module, the default game. To install a mod, unzip it and put the folder (for example, Hundred Years War) into the modules folder, just copy it over.

Now, judging by your lack of computer knowledge, making mods for M&B will be very tricky. Modders change the game using a set of scripts, known as the Module System. These are written using the Python programming language, and it helps to have a rudimentary knowledge of programming to use the system.

On the other hand, you could just create models (the items in the game) and textures (the graphics that make them look good) and get someone else to code them in.

One last thing. There are a lot of historical mods out there already, so unless your idea is somewhat original, it would be a bit pointless.

Hope this helps. :)
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Sir Niocl

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »
Thanks for the help Marcus.

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
No problem, we need some life around here. :)
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."