Author Topic: US Torture Report  (Read 11275 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: US Torture Report
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Is it now?

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah (disbelief) is worse than killing...
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful.   And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and worshipping of others) and worship is for Allah alone.  But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists and villains)"

Quran (9:14) - "Fight against them so that Allah will punish them by your hands and disgrace them and give you victory over them and heal the breasts of a believing people."

Quran (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

I most certainly do not wish to ban the Quran; As I've said multiple times: I have nothing against the religion. I hate Christians, Jews, Muslims, whoever if they follow a holy book to the damn letter. They all preach violence against non-believers at some point. 
Quote from: me
The groups that attack people 'for Allah' are choosing which part of the Quran to accept. Just in case that needs reinforcing.
At least read what I write please. I really don't know how many more times in how many different ways I can say that this isn't because they like the Quran, it's the Islamic culture that I despise, not the religion.

BTW, we do actually have the ability to carpet bomb the entire world about 7 times over. The US, more like a hundred times. The survivors are an unfortunate side effect but all treatments have a side effect and I'd rather it be them suffering it than us. I've also said it is unfeasible in terms of money and manpower in pretty much my third post or something. If Muslim uprisings keep happening in China, they might actually be up for it. What I'm thinking would certainly not just be US/UK I've already said that's insane.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
As to the Quran, I meant the "you" in the generic rather than personal sense (sorry for the confusion there) - and indeed, was just making the point you agreed with, that most major religions can be interpreted in that way. What I wanted to say more broadly is that "the Quran tells them to" is then not a sufficient case, because clearly not all Muslims have that reading of what is ultimately the same text. Most modern Islamic scholars consider terrorism to fall under the category of murder rendering it totally forbidden, Sunni Islam at least contains a very specific taboo against killing women or children, there's a clause telling you that you're not allowed to attack anyone without due notice, only official governments are allowed to declare wars, etc. The Quran is obviously written in a world where warfare is expected, but there are a fairly good number of rules in there that should wholly preclude blowing yourself up on a tube train. So your question is "why do some Muslims follow some passages and others follow different ones" - and that's the question that I believe can be partly, if not wholly, answered by looking at the modern context of warfare.

Ultimately I'm just not sure why you're continuing to advocate a strategy you directly admit is unfeasible, in opposition to a strategy that you've never really coherently made a case against. You also don't quite seem to have taken on board the idea that radicalising survivors is not in fact a "side effect" in terms of growing anti-western terrorism, it's a core mechanic. If you start blowing up large parts of the Middle East with nuclear weapons because a tiny percentage of the populations there would like to blow us up, then you will be with every strike actively increasing the number of people who have a significant personal reason for wanting to blow us up in response. Your idea that this "shifts them to defence" also ignores a major reality of modern warfare, which is its asymmetry. Faced with heavy bombing, radicals will be more desperate to conduct terror attacks to shake public support for bombing campaigns - it's not like they're going to stay and defend themselves against a hydrogen bomb, they're not quite that stupid. Compared to all those problems with a predominantly aggression based strategy, what's actually wrong with not torturing people, avoiding blowing people up where possible, and working with allies on the ground to strengthen civil society in the Middle East and persuade people that being part of a more westernised society might actually be a good thing?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:32:54 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
Why still advocate? All this is completely hypothetical. Ideals and such. It's not like anyone here has a workable way of getting them to stop being dicks. I've not heard one from you until now. Working with allies on the ground....How does that help? Will they suddenly decide that actually, the familial ties they have with members of these organisations are worth less than being friends with a westerner and having the delights of Krispy Kreme doughnuts? No way in hell. Will helping them form proper democratic governments stop the attacks? No, you'll still get the Quran being interpreted towards violence by the same people and you'll get new enemies from the cluster who don't want a democracy. (And in this case, torture sure as hell won't help) It'll help their general population, sure. But why do we give a damn about them? They're not our people to look after.

Basically I'm saying there would be no positive results for us. The people that are fanatical enough to blow themselves up on our public transport won't be having their minds changed.

The Quran telling them to *is* enough reason for some people, then when inspired by a preacher and equipped by immigrants from mid east that's all they need to do something retarded.

You really think that ISIL will just give up territory because it's the smart thing to do if we bomb them? I doubt it. Yeah terror attacks will increase but we'll also be able to foil vastly more of them because of the destruction of their military infrastructure. Tighter border controls are obviously another part, but I naturally assumed that was a given.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
Basically, the way I see it is this: there's a pool of "already radicalised" people - and you're right that in many cases those people won't be reachable through alliance and dialogue, though not in all (to take a non-Islamic example, look at the number of ex-IRA leaders who are distinctly not blowing people up in Stormont, sure NI is still a mess but it's nothing like as bloody or dangerous as it was). However, the pool which you seem to be half denying the existence of is the "potential radicals" - mostly male, mostly young, people with relatively few life prospects given the war-torn state of the modern middle east, people without a say in their society. These are the people who ISIS want to reach out to and radicalise as fighters or terrorists. If these people have more stability in their life, better opportunities, more democratic rights, etc, they are less likely to feel like they desperately hate the world so much that they're prepared to blow themselves to pieces, or indeed harbour/quietly accept those who do.

People aren't born radical - and as you yourself noted, this is a long term fight. The key aim in terms of safety is to make radicalism less normalised and less acceptable among ordinary populations in the Middle East, to drain out the flow of manpower that fuels terrorism. Even if I didn't give a damn about the people of the middle east (which I do, because as much as I feel a very strong affinity for my country I don't think an accident of where I was born geographically should dictate my basic moral stance towards a person), it would still in my view be mind-numbingly short sighted not to think long term about how we can decrease radicalisation. Enforced occupations beyond a certain point just don't work towards that end, for most of history occupied states have just been a continual bloody mess to try and keep a vague level of control over. Bombing only works if you're literally conducting a mass extermination or terror campaign, which I've outlined my concerns with on sustainability grounds (though as I'm sure you know I'd also consider the death toll unacceptable). Without those two legs, the general population has to take centre stage, because it (and particularly its younger part) is the basic pool both of potential radical support and potential western support in years to come.

So what does work? Having people who are on their feet and able to decide about their own future, having leaders in these communities who can see the benefits of people not killing each other and will act to nip radicalism in the bud, and in the case of groups like ISIS or the Taliban removing their legitimacy by ensuring that a workable civil society is able to provide law and reasonable justice without corruption. The Taliban managed to hold territory for so long after 2001 partly because their Islamic courts are far less corrupt than Afghan ones - which is changing, but it's a slow process and one we didn't spend enough time working on. Similarly, we should've spent more money than we did (and we spent a bit, but nowhere near enough) on providing jobs in frontier areas to give young men better alternatives to running around pointing guns at people. In the case of failed state situations like Yemen or Somalia, we could be doing a lot more to strengthen those elements of the system that are working, particularly in terms of getting the economy more functional - all these things reduce the manpower and sympathy that terrorist leaders get.

EDIT: also I might call this one a day here, I think we're getting to a stage where we're both butting our heads against a wall owing to our different ideas on who it's worth treating as a fully fledged member of the human race and stuff like that. Also I have a hellish cold and am not in the right mood for this (sorry!).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:08:32 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 01:33:23 AM »
I think calling it a fortnight wouldn't be much of an exaggeration :P

Alrighty bud, I see where you're coming from, I don't agree with all of it but I know what you're getting at.