Author Topic: UK Elections 2014  (Read 24254 times)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UK Elections 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
Jubal, I see what you're trying to say with the fact that UKIP still don't really hold power, but they've grown hugely in this set of elections. I suspect that if they continue to grow as they do they may draw to a level with the lib dems, given the polling figures. Then again, this may just be an artefact caused by having the locals & EU elections on the same day. I suppose we'll see on Sunday just what the real damage is.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
All the polling has indicated UKIP may have the best turnout, too, mind - I imagine they'll do well on Sunday, but according to Lord Ashcroft's polling only half their Euro voters would actually support them at a GE.

They also don't have areas like Sutton, Lonsdale or Eastleigh where they have a crushing base of council support - these Lib Dem fortress areas will help a lot of Lib Dems cling on in 2015 even with a disastrous national vote share, whereas UKIP will at best break through in a few coastal seats like Yarmouth or Thurrock.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 11:42:31 AM »
Yeah, sorry the Exilian news coverage tends to be rather left-of-centre.  :P

Hehe, I don't mind. It's nice to get different perspectives, even if they are commie perspectives :P

UKIP still need to go over some major hurdles to be seen as an actual option to lead the country. I doubt they'll actually do much on their own but hopefully the support for them will show the other parties that being in the EU isn't what the majority (of voters) want, it's a closer thing now than it has been but really I'm of the mind that it's more or less immigration that people are against than anything else. That's generally what I've heard from many former conservative voters anyway.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
I'm not a communist! I'm more a kind of radically liberal social democrat.  :P

Anyway... buckle up, ladies and gentlemen, 'cos it's 9pm GMT, the polls are closed, and here come the European results.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »
Exit Polls:

National Front neo-fascist far right win in France, that's very depressing.
SYRIZA, coalition of the radical left, apparently win in Greece
Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats seem to be still top in Germany.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
Looks like UKIP are doing well...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »
Looks like UKIP are doing well...

They've gained an MEP from the lib dems in the east of england. The north east seems to have stayed fairly labour.

What's really interesting is in Newark council area (not quite the same as the Newark parliamentary constituency) UKIP had 32%, Con had 31% and lab had 28% (I think) which could make for an interesting by-election campaign in the coming weeks.

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
woo my vote got the east a LAB MEP
Tis but a scratch...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »
Don't know what my vote got, scotland hasn't finished counting votes yet. Hopefully no UKIP MEPs here.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »
My own vote failed to save the East's veteran Lib Dem MEP. Looks very much like the Scots will have a UKIP MEP sadly.

Re Newark, I'd say that points to a clear Tory hold to be honest, UKIP always have a sizeable body of Tory vote-switchers for the Europeans so I'd be shocked if they could hold onto those voters at the by-election (though it's not impossible).

Finally, an interesting fact - this is the first time the Conservatives have come third in a national UK election. And I don't mean first time since WWII, or first time since 1900. It has literally never happened before, ever. The only other time they've come even with ten percent of doing so was, if I'm right, the 1923 general election.

I'll also repost my slightly gloomy FB status about the election:
So, the European elections. I am not, in myself, terrified - not quite yet. But I am saddened, and I am unsettled, both at the results in Britain and more so at those across Europe. I am saddened because I believe that, whatever you may think of the structures of European governance, we are stronger in brotherhood and sisterhood than immersed in isolation and vanity. Saddened, too, at the fact that my country is now predominantly represented by two parties in favour of kicking the poorest and most vulnerable people in our society into the gutter. But worst of all, I am unsettled that in fear and anger the peoples of Europe are in many countries seeing their salvation posing with flags and banners - and a nationalism of a sort we have not seen growing strong for many years. This is not a nationalism that celebrates our achievements - it is one which celebrates only our differences, that "we" are not "them" and "they" are not "us". It is the nationalism of blind pride, at a time when Europe may just be beginning to forget where that can lead. It is the nationalism of darker times - and tomorrow, Europe will see day dawn just a little darker.

I genuinely mean all that. I think the rise of nationalists and ultra-nationalists is very disturbing, but if anything gives us a new reason to be inside the EU - because as we know these are European-wide phenomena and if we shut ourselves off from them there is no way we will somehow gain immunity via the English Channel.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
What shocked me was the fact the Green vote was so strong, pushing the lib dems down into 5th. I don't understand how they've got such popularity with policies in several areas that just make no sense at all.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
Well I voted for the hippies largely to try and keep UKIP from gaining an MEP, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
Well I voted for the hippies largely to try and keep UKIP from gaining an MEP, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.

Hopefully that means their vote will collapse for the generals. I'm not sure UKIP will be able to keep hold for the generals either. People seem to 'care' more about the westminster elections than EU ones.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »
Also the Green vote wasn't *that* strong, it actually dropped most of a percentage point from last time. The Lib Dems just dropped a lot more.