Author Topic: UK Elections 2014  (Read 24248 times)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UK Elections 2014
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »
So I saw a very left-wing friend of mine posting about this lately.
http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/7567

So, Farage was coming to talk to politics & international studies, which seems reasonable, he's presided over the meteoric rise of UKIP and isn't it important that the students shouldn't learn about this? I hugely disagree with Farage's politics and his views, but I respect his right to have them and discuss them and the womens campaign intimidating him out of appearing is quite wrong in my view.

I don't actually see how this falls within their remit either, though knowing several people involved in the campaign I'm not surprised they have such a strong courage in their convictions that they feel they can overall his freedom of speech because they disagree.

Anyone else have a viewpoint on things like this?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »
I tend to agree, I think people have a right to calmly protest against Farage but I feel like just trying to shout him down only makes him stronger most of the time.  :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
Yeah thats pretty wibulnib, he's got the right to explain his policies. If you want to counter him then go to his speech and actually counter his arguments instead of acting like an angry child.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2014, 01:29:06 PM »
So South Yorkshire have had a PCC by-election. The count is still going on because there's no clear leader, but a report I heard on the radio suggested a turnout of slightly under 15%, so they haven't beat the west mids on that score!

However, there was apparently one ballot box in Doncaster with 3 ballot papers in it, which has to be some sort of record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-29837315

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
Here we go again: it's the Rochester & Strood by-election tomorrow. Apparently the opinion polls show Mark Reckless (UKIP, ex-Conservative) in the lead. UKIP could have 2 MPs by Friday morning.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2014, 01:04:58 AM »
The question is really the size of the lead. Below 10% and the Tories will feel they've done damage reduction OK, 10-15% is about expected. If UKIP overperform and get up towards a 20% lead, then it will be a big wave in the Tory party, the seat will probably be safe for UKIP at the election, and I think that's where we might see more defections etc as well.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
Here we go again: it's the Rochester & Strood by-election tomorrow.
Slight oops: the election was in fact on 20 November (a Thursday, as standard for UK elections).

Apparently the opinion polls show Mark Reckless (UKIP, ex-Conservative) in the lead. UKIP could have 2 MPs by Friday morning.
And indeed they did: Reckless won with a majority of almost 3,000 (7.3% of the vote). Turnout was just over 50% of the electorate, which I think is relatively high for a UK parliamentary by-election.

comrade_general

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
People voted for a guy named Reckless? :picard_facepalm:

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
The conservatives actually ran a smear campaign on him playing on his name - "Don't be reckless with your vote". :P
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

comrade_general

« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
I could see the comeback - "It would be reckless not to."

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »
People voted for a guy named Reckless? :picard_facepalm:
Yes - twice now. Once in the 2010 general election, once last week. I'd imagine a lot will vote for him in the general election next year.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2014, 11:52:26 PM »

comrade_general

« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2014, 01:33:40 AM »
I don't get it?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2014, 02:26:56 AM »
Yeah; UKIP won the battle, though the Tories managed their propaganda far better than in Clacton (aided by Labour's mess-ups). Had UKIP gotten a better result than the polls it would have been another big knock, but they actually did slightly less well than was perhaps expected, so that may stem further defection possibilities.